ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outbreak (1995)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Outbreak (1995) Reply with quote

_____________ Outbreak (1995) Official Trailer

Science Fiction . . . or more science fact? The possibility of something like this actually happening — a lethal virus spreading quickly among the population — is almost likely according to this film. And in theory, it's not that far out there.

In very recent times there have been scares of an Ebola outbreak in the U.S., outside the usual locale of Africa. But to actually wipe out most of the population is an extreme situation which is depicted in stuff like the previous year's mini-series, The Stand, the Stephen King sci-fi/horror opus in which about 99% of the population dies.

In this film, the tension stems from the possibility of that happening.

The scientists and military who combat this threat manage to contain it, and only a small portion of the populace (about one town's worth) succumbs to the deadly effects. This scenario makes this film more of a realistic proposition. It's not that outlandish to envision several hundred or several thousand people dying from such a virus.

However, there are a few plot points throughout this thriller for which a viewer needs to suspend a bit of disbelief. Everything happens at a pretty breakneck speed to entertain us in that pulse-pounding sort of way.

A new deadly virus is detected in Africa, and in the next scene it is already spreading in the U.S. — thanks to a hippy dude played by Patrick Dempsey. Dustin Hoffman, playing an intense military colonel and expert virologist, has warned everyone. He warned them!

He's the only one who seems to give a damn as to whether hundreds or thousands of U.S.citizens will die in the next few hours.

Hoffman's performance is a bit overwrought & frenetic. He's kind of an acquired taste here — but he does add energy to the already tense proceedings. He's assisted by a youngster, played by Cuba Gooding, Jr., and experienced assistant, Kevin Spacey.

Rene Russo plays Hoffman's ex-wife, with whom he still wants to get back together. Morgan Freeman is a general and Hoffman's boss, whom he criticizes for not being honest enough and acting quickly. Fact is, Hoffman criticizes everyone in this movie. I'm surprised no one purposely exposed him to the virus just to get rid of him.

The origins of the virus date back to 1967. That was when, in one of the better pre-credits scenes ever done, a village in Africa was vaporized by the army to destroy the micro-bug. The order was given by Donald Sutherland's character, now a 2-star general.

Sutherland's the other actor who doesn't make an easy fit here. His general is way too creepy and sinister. He can't wait to explode another bomb and vaporize another town. You get the sense that, far from forcing himself into such a necessary action, this general really enjoys the prospect of blowing up a community.

Didn't anyone notice in the past 30 years that he's an obvious psychotic?

Otherwise, this is a fast-moving thriller, highlighted by scenes of the army, in gas masks, taking over a typical American town (very similar to scenes from the aforementioned "The Stand", the year before).

J.T. Walsh has an uncredited cameo in one scene as a member of the White House asking to be convinced of the ultimate military action, i.e. blow up everything and everyone in the designated area. Again, the frantic race in the final half-hour to stave off destruction asks a lot from the audience, but it does deliver some thrills.

BoG's Score: 7 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen this film, Bud.

Did art imitate life with the movie by having the POTUS in the film a ''stable genius" who then exacerbates the pandemic a million-fold?
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be silly, Mike! Something that dumb could NEVER happen in real life! :shock;

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_____________ Outbreak (1995) Official Trailer

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. In view of the terrible global pandemic, this movie out to be "required viewing" for the moronic Trump supporters who still claim that Covid-19 is a hoax! Rolling Eyes

~ When investigating the village in Zaire, several huts are burned down. This is the traditional tribal method for controlling the spread of an infection in many parts of the world.

Food and water are left outside the entrance to the dwelling, and the occupants cannot leave. If several days (usually three or four) of these supplies are not used, then the dwelling is burned down to stop the infection from spreading.

Note from me: Dear Lord, what a coldly efficient way to determine if the inhabitants of the huts are alive or dead! Shocked

~ While in Zaire, Jim, one of the attendants, captures one of the monkeys by throwing a net over him. To accomplish this scene, the monkey was trained to be caught in the net. In fact, he was taught that the net was part of a game so had no fear of it.

Note from me: The moral here is that if you want to deceive someone, just make the deception more appealing than the truth.

This has worked remarkable well for a prominent politician for the last four years. Sad

~ The character of Sam Daniels (Dustin Hoffman) was originally intended for Harrison Ford. Coincidentally, Harrison Ford's character in "Blade Runner (1982)" was written with Dustin Hoffman in mind. Ford worked with director Wolfgang Petersen on "Air Force One (1997)."

Note from me: I have great respect for both actors, and I can see Harrison Ford in this movie, even though I think Hoffman was the better choice. But I can't see Hoffman in Blade Runner.

~ Donald Sutherland took over from Joe Don Baker because director Wolfgang Petersen and producer Arnold Kopelson wanted the character to have more of an "Oliver North quality" and decided Sutherland could deliver that. Sutherland was not available for filming when production began, but later joined the set, and was able to complete all of his scenes without any delays.

Note from me: I think Donald Sutherland was the better choice. He can project both intelligence and a hidden duplicity, making him perfect for this roll.

~ The movie gained a resurgence of popularity in March of 2020 with the outbreak of the coronavirus and the subsequent pandemic. That month, it entered the Netflix Top 10 most watched movies — despite being nearly 25 years old. /color]

Note from me: Ah-HA! That's exactly what I said in my opening remark at the top of this post! I am indeed the [color=blue]King of All Sci-Fi
! Cool

~ The bomb that explodes in the ocean was scripted to explode over the town, vaporizing it. Boss Film actually did the effects sequence showing the destruction, but test screenings forced the filmmakers to re-shoot the end with the town being saved.

Note from me: When I saw this movie, I felt good about the fact that the bomb didn't blow the hell out the poor town. Call me sentimental, but I prefer the endings which show the good side of mankind — even though I now suspect it's not as realistic as I used to . . . Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: