ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chapter 7 ~ Meeting the Makah

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> The Fabulous Adventures of Me! by Bruce Cook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Chapter 7 ~ Meeting the Makah Reply with quote

CHAPTER 7 ~ Meeting the Makah

Four days later, Jon-Max and Laura were strolling through the Ice Age village on a bright, cold morning. Suddenly Jon-Max heard a cheerful voice call out to him, using his new Indian name.

"Hey, look at you, Nu-konee! You've got on new clothes! Are you getting married or something?"

A group of men and women stood near one of the large cooking fires that always burned in the center of the village. A burst of laughter erupted from the group, and they started slapping the young hunter on the back who had made the joke.

"Hey, that's a good idea!" called out a woman in the group. "My youngest daughter heard what a great hunter you are, Nu-konee. She wants to be one of the wives of the young hunter with the hair like flame!"

As Laura walked next to Jon-Max, she could see his face turning red. But Jon-Max just laughed and waved and kept on strolling through the powdery snow that dusted the rocky ground along the lake shore where the Ice Age village was located. As they put a little distance between themselves and the group by the cooking fire, Jon-Max spoke to his friend.

"These new outfits do look pretty cool." Jon-Max glanced down at his new leather coat and pants, made from the hides of giant bison. His feet were encased in knee-high leather boots with straps that wound 'round and 'round his legs, from knees to ankles. The thick, warm garments had been given to him that very morning as a gift from their Ice Age Indian friends.

Laura was also wearing a new parka, pants, and boots. They were the warmest and most comfortable garments she had worn in her life. The parkas had no zippers or buttons, they just wrapped around the torso and were held closed with a leather belt that tide in front. The coats were lined with soft, silver, wolf fur that had been sewn inside, including the hoods.

"I still can't believe that Un-dae-hu’s wife made these for us," Laura said in awe.

"His two daughters helped, I think," said Jon-Max "They must have thought we weren't warm in the clothes we were wearing."

"You mean, the clothes they thought we were wearing," corrected Laura.

For the first time since they'd arrived in this ancient land of snow and ice and prehistoric monsters, the two time-traveling 5th graders were actually wearing authentic Indian clothing, instead of the holographic disguises provided by Gidget and Gazmo.

Just four days earlier, the two young people had been given their "adult" tribal names by Un-dae-hu, the leader of the hunting party they had saved from a saber-toothed tiger. This morning, Un-dae-hu surprised Jon-Max and Laura with the new outfits after the morning meal.

"What did you do with the boots you had on with your regular clothes?" Laura asked, referring to the futuristic foot gear Jon-Maxhad been wearing when he first appeared in Laura room.

"I've got them in here," Jon-Max said, pointing at the leather object on his back as he reached up and shifted the straps that went over his shoulders. He and Laura had introduced a new idea to the Ice Age Indians: backpacks. Several of the tribe's women had sewn together the leather backpacks after the two students from the future described what they wanted.

When the other people in the village saw how useful the backpacks were, they all wanted one. Now, dozens of the women were busily making backpacks for the hunters so the men could use them to carry their weapons and supplies.

Several of the wolf-like dogs that constantly wandered around the village came over to Jon-Max and Laura, nuzzling their hands, hoping to be petted. They were rewarded with some affectionate scratches behind their ears.

Laura pulled a half-eaten slice of bison jerky from her pocket and dangled it above the animals' heads, teasing them with the smell of the meat. The dogs made yipping sounds as they pushed and shoved at each other, their tongues hanging out as they looked up at the tasty prize.

Laura tossed the jerky a dozen feet away, and the dogs made a mad dash towards it. The fastest dog snatched it up and went racing off ahead of the others. The whole pack disappeared among the tents in seconds.

"You know something?" Jon-Max said wistfully. "I'm really going hate leaving here. I feel like I've actually become one of these people."

Laura just nodded silently as she and Jon-Max continued making their way between the dozens of mammoth-hide tents that made up the village, until finally they saw a tall, elderly man talking with a group of hunters. The hunters were about to set out in search of a herd of elk which they hoped would be grazing in a green valley a few miles from the village. The tall man at the center of the group was Rashun, one of the tribal chiefs.

Jon-Max and Laura stood quietly a few feet from the group, waiting with patience and respect while Rashun finished his discussion with the hunting party. Before the group left, each man bowed his head for a moment while Rashun touched their foreheads gently. As he did, he spoke a few ceremonial words, blessing each hunter and saying a prayer for their success and safe return.

When this brief ceremony was completed, the men turned and headed off through the maze of tents. Rashun turned to the two 5th graders and gazed at them silently for a moment. His wrinkled face showed little expression, but his wise old eyes held a twinkle. The two young people knew he was glad to see them.

"Well, now," Rashun said finally. "My two newest warriors are looking especially fine, today. There's something different about you both. But what could it be? Hmmm . . . " Rashun pretended not to notice their new clothes while he studied them carefully, then his face broke into a smile.

"Ah, now I have it! You both finally washed your faces."

Jon-Max and Laura laughed at the joke, but the old chief noticed that their smiles faded quickly. He stepped between them to put his arms over their shoulders. He started walking them towards another of the village's large cooking fires that blazed nearby. Neither of the young people spoke for a moment, unable to bring themselves to tell the kindly chief the sad news they had come to give him. Rashun sensed that something troubled the two youngsters.

"Such young hearts should not have to bear so heavy a weight," he said gently. "If you've come to ask for my help in a matter of sadness, I will gladly give it. Tell me your problem."

The three of them stopped in front of the blazing fire, and the two 5th graders held their hands out to warm them, watching the flames as they wondered just what they should say. Finally, Jon-Max took a deep breath and spoke quickly, before he could loose his nerve.

"It is time for us to leave, Rashun. We must continue our journey." He looked up at the old man and finished hesitantly. "We're leaving today, sir . . . if you'll give us permission."

After a tense silence, Rashun said, "And if I do not give you permission?"

Neither of the young people answered, nor could they look him in the eye. They knew they had to leave, but they hated the thought of suddenly vanishing and leaving these people to wonder and worry about what had happened to them.

There was sadness in the chief's voice as he said, "When you first came to us, you said you were here to learn our ways, and to share these ways with your own tribe."

"Yes, sir," said Jon-Max.

"You've been with us only a short time. Is there nothing else we can teach you before you go?"

Both Jon-Max and Laura smiled at the kindly old chief. "There is much more you could teach us," Jon-Max said. "But we must visit many places and learn from many people."

"We don't really want to go," Laura said. "You're people have been so kind to us."

"You've earned a place in our hearts," Rashun said softly. He took a deep breath and huffed it out slowly, creating a small cloud of fog in the cold air. "Well . . . alright, then. You have my permission to continue your journey."

"Thank you," said Laura. "We'll go say good-bye to our friends. Thanks again for all the kindness you've shown us." She lowered her head the way the hunters had done, and Jon-Max followed his friend’s example. Rashun touched them both lightly on the forehead and said the ceremonial words, wishing them a safe journey. Then the two students from the future turned and walked quietly away.

An hour later, after saying good-bye to other friends in the tribe, they were a mile from the lake-side village, putting ample distance between themselves and the Ice Age people before activating the anywhen device.

"This should be far enough," Jon Max said, looking around to be sure that none of the hunting parties were in sight.

"Where are we going next?" said Laura. "Where and when, I should say."

"Let's get a little advice from our lifeguard units." Jon Max looked down and spoke to the little electronic devices attached to his and Laura's belts. "Gidget? Gazmo? We're not sure where to go next. What would you suggest?"

Even though the two miniature computers where hidden under their parkas, their electronic voices were as clear as ever.

"Perhaps you'd be interested in the Makah Indians," said Gazmo. “They live a few hundred miles south of here, along the Northwest Coast of America."

Gidget interrupted. "Of course, we'll have to go ten thousand years forward in time," the female voice said. "The Makah are just one of dozens of tribes who inhabited the North American continent after the Ice Age people migrated south and spread across the continent."

"Do they do cool stuff like the people we just visited?" Lauraasked.

"Oh, yes!" Gidget said enthusiastically. "They are a very artistic people. They weave beautiful baskets, and they carve huge totem poles which show each family's history."

Jon Max and Laura weren't overly impressed. Jon-Max sighed and said, "Okay, so they weave baskets and they carve big poles. What else do they do?"

"They have special story tellers who memorize the tribe’s history," Gidget said, still bubbling with enthusiasm.

"That's nice," Laura said in bored tone. "What else?"

"They fish for salmon, and they trade with other tribes, such as the Chinooks," Gidget said.

"Fishing and trading and weaving and carving," Jon Max said in a disappointed tone.

"They sound like really nice people, Gidget," Laura said, "but we were hoping for something more -- "

Gazmo suddenly interrupted with just three words, spoken quietly.

"They hunt whales."

Jon Max and Laurawere silent for a second, then Laura said, "They hunt what?"

"Whales," repeated Gazmo. "Using harpoons. In big canoes that hold sixty people."

"Hey, all right!" Jon Max and Laura shouted together.

"I'll set the coordinates," said Gazmo. Seconds later, the voice said, "All set. You won't need your cold weather clothing when you get there."

"We won't?" Jon Max said. "Why not?"

"The Earth's climate is much warmer ten thousand years from now, and you'll be hundreds of miles further south."

and Jon Max looked disappointed at having to take off their new Ice Age Indian clothes. They both took one last look around at the snowy landscape while they reached inside their parkas and pulled out their sunglasses.

"What year are we going to?" said Laura.

"1770. You'll meet the Makah Indians just four years before the first Europeans did."

Jon Max tugged back the sleeve of his parka so he could get his finger on the button of the anywhen device.

"Are you ready, Sho-karee?" he said with an excited smile.

"I am definitely ready, Nu-konee. Let's go hunt whales!"

BRRRRR-ZAP! A bright blue light flashed against the white snow, and the two 5th graders vanished from sight.

ZZZZZZ-BRAAP!

Ten thousand years later (but a fraction of a second for Jon Max and Laura, the two appeared in a lush, green forest. The air was warm and sweet smelling, and a gentle breeze rustled the spring leaves on the tall trees. Just twenty feet away, a wide stream flowed past, the water rushing around the rocks. The sun was almost straight overhead, and the blue sky was dotted with billowing clouds. The temperature was about 60 degrees.

Jon Max and Laura looked around for several seconds, admiring the beautiful scenery. Then Jon Max spoke to Gidget and Gazmo.

"Where are we, exactly?"

The pleasant female voice of Gidget filled the air around the two students. "Two hundred years from now this region will be the state of Washington, on the west coast of America. Washington state is famous for its apples and it fishing industry. It's also famous for the amount of rain -- "

"Thanks, Gidget," Jon Max said quickly. The miniature computer took the hint and stopped her lecture.

Laura began to fan herself. "Wow, it seems really hot here after being in the Ice Age. We better get these parkas off before we roast."

"Good idea," said Jon Max. He and Laura peeled off the heavy leather parkas and pants they were wearing over their regular clothes. They rolled them up and used the leather straps that wrapped around their fur boots to tie the garments into neat bundles, then they lashed them to their backpacks with the belts which had held the parkas closed. They folded up the soft leather boots and put them inside the backpacks, after they put their shoes on.

"I guess we're back to using our disguise modes again, huh?" said Laura.

"Yep. Let's do that now, so we can see what Makah clothes look like. If they're cool enough, maybe we'll want to the trade the cold weather clothes for Makah stuff."

"You mean barter," said Gidget in a quiet voice.

"What?" said Laura. "I didn't quite get that."

"I said, barter. It means the trading of one thing for another. The Makah did a lot of bartering with the other tribes in the area, like the Chinook and the — "

"There she goes again," Jon Max said in an exasperated voice. "Gidget, Gazmo, activate disguise mode, please."

"Disguise mode on," said the two electronic voices in unison.

Laura and Jon Max took one look at each other and burst out laughing. It was almost a full minute before either of them could speak. Jon Max caught his breath first.

"Hey, are you guys sure this is how the Makah dress?"

"Absolutely sure," Gazmo said. He sounded slightly insulted at Jon Max's suggestion that a mistake had been made.

"Well . . . okay. But what is this stuff made of?"

"Your garments — if they were real and not just holograms -- would be made of woven cedar tree bark.”

“Bark?” Laura said in amazement. “They made their clothes out of tree bark?”

“The Makah use woven bark to make many useful items, like blankets, baskets and . . . well, many other things." Gazmo suddenly stopped himself before JJon-Max could tell him that he sounded like Gidget.

Laura and Jon-Max were actually wearing the 21st century clothes they had worn since they began their time-traveling adventure. But thanks to the holographic disguises created by Gidget and Gazmo, they now appeared to be wearing loose brown garments that wrapped around their bodies, covering one shoulder but leaving the other shoulder bare. The garments hung down almost to their knees. A rope-like belt was tied around their waists. Their legs appeared to be bare (even though they really weren't), and their feet appeared to be clad in simple sandals, also made of woven bark.

Even their faces and hair appeared different, thanks to the holographic disguises projected by the lifeguard units. Both 5th graders now had long, dark hair, with braids that hung down to their shoulders. Their skin was a medium-dark shade, and their faces had the wide features typical of most Native Americans. Laura could still recognize Jon Jon-Max, because his face looked like a wider, darker version of the one she knew.

"I guess our backpacks look okay just the way they are," said Jon-Max. "What do you think, Gazmo?"

"You can tell the Makah you got them from another tribe you visited. It's the truth, of course."

"Right," said Laura. "We just won't tell them that the tribe we visited lived ten thousand years ago."

Jon-Max and Laura grew silent for a moment as they both realized that the friends they had made among the Ice Age Indians had lived out their lives and passed away, ten thousand years ago — all in the brief instant it had taken the two young time travelers to leave the Ice Age and arrive here in 1770.

After a few seconds, Jon-Max forced his mind to focus on their present situation. "Which way do we go now?" he said, looking around at the green forest.

"Head down stream," said Gazmo. "There's a group of Makah Indians who are fishing for salmon, just around the next bend in the stream."

"Okay." He turned to Laura and gave his friend a brave smile. "Well, I guess we’re all set to meet some new friends, huh Sho-karee?"

"Lead on, brave Hunter of the Snow Cat," said Laura, smiling back.

Following the sparkling water of the stream, the two time travelers made their way through the forest. Bird songs filled the crisp, clean air. They saw squirrels scampering through the trees.

Jon-Max took pity on Gidget and decided to give her chance to lecture. "I wonder what kind of animals live around here," he said casually.

Gidget was quick to take the bait. "This area is teeming with animal life. There are bears, wolves, foxes, deer, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, chipmunks, hawks, ravens, and smaller birds, just to name a few – "

"That was a few?" Laura said, teasing the talkative little device. Gidget ignored him.

"And there are many kinds of fish in the stream. Right now, because its spring, the salmon are making their way upstream to spawn. That's why the Makah are just ahead, catching the salmon as they rush past. In one day, a group of fishermen can catch as many as -- "

"Thanks, Gidget. That was really helpful. We'll hear more later, if that's okay."

"Of course, Jon-Max. Just tell me when," said Gidget. She sounded pleased with herself.

Jon-Max and Laura suddenly stopped when they noticed something ahead of them, barely visible through the bushes that grew close to the stream. A six-foot waterfall stretched across the wide, fast stream just head, and a group of Makah were standing on the rocky bank just below it.

As Jon-Max and Laura eased their way through the bushes and got closer, they came upon an amazing scene.

A group of young men were standing on rocks out in the stream, along the base of the waterfall. Every few seconds a long, pink salmon would burst up from the turbulent water and sail high into the air. Some were leaping so high they landed in the water above the falls. Others weren't quite making it, and they were carried back down by the falling water.

There were thousands of salmon in the water below the falls. The water appeared to boil as they thrashed around.

The fishermen on the rocks were barefooted, and they wore nothing but loincloths -- flaps of fabric that hung down the front and backs of their hips, held in place by a thin string. Laura remembered that the Indians who greeted Columbus when he landed on the beach had worn garments similar to these.

All the young fishermen held long spears, which they held pointed downward as they stared at the churning water near the rocks on which they stood.

Suddenly one of the young men plunged his spear into the water and yanked it back out quickly. He shouted with excitement as he gazed at a writhing salmon, impaled on the spear. Quickly he swung the point of the spear towards bank of the stream. The salmon was slung from the spear, and it sailed towards the group who were standing on the rocky bank. A woman on the bank caught it expertly in a basket she held.

The fish was injured, but not yet dead, and it flopped around in the basket. Before the fish could jump out, the young woman raised a wooden club and stunned the fish with one quick blow. Then she lifted the motionless salmon and put it into a covered basket that already held a dozen others. A few seconds later, another fisherman who was near the middle of stream swung his spear and sent another salmon soaring through the air to be snagged by the basket of another skillful "catcher" on shore. There were about ten women I all, each holding a basket to catch the fish that came flying towards them.

On the far bank of the stream, Jon-Max and Laura saw another group of men and women, busily catching salmon being thrown to them from the fishermen near that side.

Several small children were playing among the young men on the nearest bank, and their mothers were close by, catching the fish being thrown to them. The children laughed and ran among the adults, squealing and clapping whenever a fish came sailing into the baskets. There was a great deal of laughing and cheering as the fisherman tossed their fish ashore and the “catchers” snagged them in the large baskets.

A twenty foot peninsula of rock stuck out into the rushing water, and two small boys were making a dangerous game out of running to the end of the rock and then turning back just before falling into the swirling water. They laughed each time they rushed back to the safety of the shore.

The young fisherman nearest the shore was just a few years older than Jon-Max and Laura. He shouted something at the two little boys, but they ignored him.

Both the people on the bank and the fishermen in the stream were so busy they didn't notice Jon-Max and Laura as they stood watching from among the bushes, a few dozen feet away. In less than two minutes, the fishermen caught over thirty salmon and tossed them to the group on the shore.

Some of the covered baskets on shore were already filled with salmon. One of the women lifted the heavy basket and started carrying it along the bank, headed downstream. She glanced over her shoulder and saw her two mischievous sons racing out to the end of the rocky peninsula. She shouted at them, obviously not pleased with the dangerous game they were playing.

One of the children, running a few feet behind his brother, stopped quickly. But the other one, startled by his mother's stern words, looked back over his shoulder as he ran.

He didn't realize how close he was to the edge – and he ran right off the rock!

His mother screamed as the child plunged into the rushing water and disappeared.

Instantly the young boy on the rock near shore dropped his spear and dove into the water. Everybody on the shore seemed too stunned to know what to do. The child's mother dropped her basketful of fish, rushed out onto the rock, and snatched up her other child. She watched in fear as the swimming fisherman was swept quickly past her by the fast current. He dove underwater after passing the peninsula of rock, searching for the little boy.

"Oh, no! They'll both drown in that current!" Laura said.

"Drop your pack and follow me!" shouted Jon-Max as he shrugged his backpack from his shoulders and let it drop to the ground.

Jon-Max and Laura wove their way quickly through the people on the shore. Thirty feet past the peninsula of rock, they saw the young fisherman's head burst from the surface of the water. He was holding the head of the frightened child above the swirling current.

The two 5th graders from the future were leaping across the uneven rocks at a breakneck speed. They slowly caught up with the fisherman and the child as the two were carried rapidly along by the moving water. Just ahead of him, Jon-Max saw a small tree at the water's edge. Its tilted trunk was leaning out over the water.

"Grab that tree and hold on!" he shouted to Laura. Without waiting to see if Laura followed his instructions, Jon-Max dove headfirst into the water just a few feet ahead of the fisherman and the child.

Laura raced up to the tilted tree, grabbed its trunk firmly in her left hand, and stretch her right hand out over the water.

As he was swept along by the current, Jon-Max turned himself around in the water so that he was facing the fisherman and the child. He stuck his right hand up in the air, reaching towards the shore, while he held the other hand out towards the young fisherman.

As Jon-Max reached the tree, Laura grabbed his outstretched hand and clutched it with all her strength. As the rushing water swept Jon-Max past the tree, it threatened to tear him loose from his friend's grasp. Somehow Laura hung on to Jon-Max as the young fisherman and the child went racing by.

The young fisherman clamped his hand onto Jon- Max's. The powerful current swung Jon-Max, the young fisherman, and the child around towards the gently sloping rock just beyond the tree that Laura clung to so desperately.

Suddenly several young men rushed up to the rocky edge of the stream and steadied each other as they offered helping hands to Jon-Max and the fisherman. The young fisherman helped the other men lift the child out of the water, then he allowed the men to pull him slowly up onto the rock.

During all this, he never let go of Jon-Max's hand. As soon as he was halfway out of the water, he helped the other men pull Jon-Max up beside him. Only then did Laura finally release her grip on her friend's other hand.

Gasping for breath, Jon-Max and the young fisherman lay on the rock for a moment while the other men stood around them, talking excitedly in the Wakashan language – the language of the Northwest Coast Indians.

Quietly, Laura spoke to the device on her belt. "Gazmo, translation mode on. Signal Gidget to do the same."

The amazing little device from the future was smart enough to know not to answer the command out loud. Seconds later, Laura was able to understand what the people around her were saying. Jon Max looked over at Laura and smiled, and she knew he was able to understand the Wakashan language, too.

Jon Max took advantage of the hands that offered to help him stand up on the rock. As he did so, Laura walked over to stand beside him.

The tearful mother of the rescued child came rushing up to Jon Max and Laura. She was a short, round woman with a wide, dark face. She wore a brightly colored robe-like garment that hung all the way to the ground.

She laughed and cried and hugged them both, all at the same time. She still had one arm wrapped around the wet child, who was crying and coughing up water. Even though her words were being translated into English by Gidget and Gazmo, she was talking so fast that neither of the 5th graders from the future could understand a word the poor, upset woman was saying.

"You are very brave, young warriors," said a voice from nearby. Jon Max and Laura turned towards the young fisherman whose life they had saved. "You have made my mother very happy. Thanks for rescuing me and my foolish little brother." He held out his right hand, and both Jon Max and Laura each shook it briefly.

"We're glad we could help," said Laura. Then she noticed that both Jon Max and the young fisherman were beginning to shiver in the cool air. "Do you have something my friend can dry himself with?"

"Yes. Come with me."

The young fisherman led them back to the area where the fish baskets lay on the ground. He picked up a woven mat made of coarse thread and handed it to Jon Max, who quickly began to use it to dry himself. Jon-Max discovered that the mat was much softer than it looked. As he dried off, Laura heard Jon Max whisper to the device on his belt. "Gidget, create thermal force field."

Laura knew that her friend no longer felt the cold air on his wet skin, because Gidget was protecting him with the same force field that had kept them both warm while they were visiting the Ice Age Indians. It kept cold air out and held warm air in.

Standing nearby, the young fisherman was drying himself off with one of the matts. He turned and spoke to the 5th graders. "I am Qua-yuta. May I know your names?"

"I'm Sho-karee," said Laura, proudly giving her Indian name. "My wet friend is Nu-konee."

"These names are new to me. You must be from far away. What do your names mean?"

"My name means Braver than the Beast. My friend's name means Hunter of the Snow Cat."

Qua-yuta smiled for a moment, then he reached up quickly and covered the smile with his hand. Carefully he said, "To be truthful with you . . . I would not believe these bold names of yours if I hadn't witnessed how bravely you acted when I needed help." He studied them both for a moment, still smiling. "I look forward to hearing the story of how you earned your names."

"What does your name mean," Jon Max asked the young Makah.

"You do not know?" Qua-yuta said, looking surprised. "How strange. You speak our language so well."

"Yes, but as you said, we're from far away. Some of your words will be new to us — just like our names were new to you."

Qua-yuta nodded and replied, "Yes, that makes sense. My name means Little Creator. My father named me that because I love to make things. I love to build and create. Do you know what the word word Qua-utz means?"

Neither Gidget nor Gazmo bothered to translate the word for the two time travelers. Both the miniature computers understood that Qua-yuta was asking them if they'd ever heard the word, not its meaning.

"No, that's a new word to us. What does it mean?" said Jon Max.

"Qua-utz is a spirit being."

"A spirit being?" Laura said.

"Yes — you know, like Ike'tal, the spirit being of the sea, who brings whales to our beaches when we need food. Qua-utz is the Creator. The spirit being who is the maker of all things." The young man smiled as he said, "So, I am Qua-yuta — the Little Creator. The maker of . . . a few things."

Jon Max and Laura chuckled at their new friend's joke. Qua-yuta's mother came up, still hugging her child, who was wrapped in a woven mat like the ones Jon Max and Qua-yuta had used to dry off. She smiled warmly at Jon Max and Laura, then she said, "I am Nua-anul, mother of Qua-yuta and little Moa-daht." She quickly kissed the child in her arms, then continued. "You must come back to the village and be our guests at the evening meal. Everyone will want to hear the story of what you did."

"You're very kind. Thank you," said Laura. Then she patted her tummy and said, "As a matter of fact, I feel like I haven't eaten in 10,000 years."

Jon Max was chuckling, but nobody else understood just how true Laura's remark was. The last time she and Jon Max had eaten really was 10,000 years in the past!

Nua-anul hurried off, and she was followed by the other women, all of whom carried the baskets filled with salmon. The people on the other side of the stream were quickly gathering up their own fish-filled baskets and heading downstream.

Two young Makah men walked up carrying the backpacks which the 5th graders had hastily dropped when they leapt into action. Jon Max and Laura shouldered their backpacks and followed Qua-yuta and the other fishermen as they lead them in the direction his mother had gone, toward the Makah's sea-side village.

As they walked along, Laura leaned close to Jon Max and spoke in a low voice. "Brother, you sure know how to make a good first impression on people."

Jon-Max wore a wide grin as he said, "Yeah, so do you. I got to admit -- we're quite a team, Sho-karee."

"Right," said Laura. "Just think — we've only been here fifteen minutes, and we're already the guests of honor at dinner tonight!"

NEXT: CHAPTER 8 ~ EXPLORING THE MAKAH VILLAGE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> The Fabulous Adventures of Me! by Bruce Cook All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: