ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is your favorite non-aerodynamic spaceship?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: What is your favorite non-aerodynamic spaceship? Reply with quote

What's your favorite non-aerodynamic spaceship design?

by Charlie Jane Anders

We all know that spaceships don't need to be aerodynamic, unless they're entering an atmosphere at some point. Any craft which purely navigates in space should be designed with other considerations in mind — like warp field mechanics. Or pure coolness. And yet, a surprising number of pure spaceships in science fiction seem to have been designed, at least in part, for atmospheric flight....

Link:
http://io9.com/5963477/whats-your-favorite-non+aerodynamic-spaceship-design?utm_source=io9.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

Firefly's Serenity

Battlestar Galactica new

2001's Discovery

Star Trek's Galileo

Borg Cube

EDIT: This post went nowhere on old All Sci-Fi; feel free to post your favorite non-aerodynamic spaceships here.

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree, sir. The shape of your spacecraft ain't gonna help if a micro-meteorite hits it at several thousand miles an hour or more. What spaceships need are protective force shields which deflect such dangerous little devils away, even at light speed or above.

There's a book I read recently which does a great job of explaining the importance of force shields and how they protect the spacecraft. The spacecraft looked like this, because it definitely did fly inside atmospheres on many occasions.

Damn, what was the name of that book?

Oh, right? It was my book! (And this is the other cover I considered.)

PS: Sorry to be so self-aggrandizing today guys, but I'm just jazzed about getting a good review from Clarion!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
ShadowLandz100
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to some who have studied the UFO stories, they claim the UFO's have a protective magnetic field surrounding the craft which does several things.

It protects the inhabitants inside the craft from all the sudden 90 degree turns at extreme speeds so often seen by witnesses, and there have been reports of U.U.O.'s (Unidentified Underwater Objects) -- UFO's that can dive into the water and later emerge and fly away at high speed. These have been seen going into lakes and oceans over every location on earth, probably to some submerged bases maybe ?

This field also protects the craft itself from traveling through the atmosphere at extreme speeds from disintegrating from the friction that would be created, and it would also destroy anything coming into the field, like micro meteorites or even bullets from us -- heh.

And some theorize that this magnetic field can be seen, due to the color changes witnesses have claimed they see when these craft accelerate, changing colors. In other words, they live in a bubble of protection.

Those who say these are from our own military are further from the truth, as to generate this kind of magnetic force field would require an enormous internal power supply, which at this time I doubt we can achieve. If we could, then we'd be in space by now -- not by the roman candles we now rely on, but by saucer-shaped or other craft using this unlimited power source.

Karl

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Millennium Falcon won my heart from the word, "What a piece of junk!"

But then the Imperial Star Destroyers are nothing to sneeze at either.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowLandz100 wrote:
Well, according to some who have studied the UFO stories, they claim the UFO's have a protective magnetic field surrounding the craft which does several things.

This field also protects the craft itself from traveling through the atmosphere at extreme speeds from disintegrating from the friction that would be created, and it would also destroy anything coming into the field, like micro meteorites or even bullets from us.

Karl, that's exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post!

Even if we invented a propulsion system that allowed our spacecraft to travel a million miles an hour (which is still a 53 year trip to Pluto) we'd be running the risk of colliding with a micro-meteoroid traveling 600 times faster than a bullet.

But here's the really scary part. If we had a engine that propelled the spacecraft at just 7% the speed of light, a tiny grain of dust striking the hull would produce a fission reaction, and the ship would go ka-pow!

A really great engine would be absolutely useless without the force fields around the ship to deflect every atom of gas and dust.

So, it's all or nothing. Perfect them both . . . of stay home on Earth.

But the original question for this thread was, "What's your favorite non-aerodynamic spaceship?"

This one. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: