ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goldfinger (1964)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a toy Luger, although Bond did use a Walther P38 in the shootout at the Goldfinger factory.

David.
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: We Have A Saying In Chicago Reply with quote

Once Is Happenstance,

Twice Is Co-Incedence,

and the Third time, it is

Enemy Action

I don't recall those Words of Wisdom from Ian Fleming's novel, Goldfinger, being used in the film.

Or, were they spoken in the film, when the battery in my hearing aid had just gone dead?

"Mr. Auric Goldfinger is a very powerful Man.

If we wanted to crush you, he would only have to turn over in his sleep to do so."

Can't recall those additional words of wisdom being used in he film, either.

Anybody else notice the presence, or absence of those two sayings in the film, Goldfinger?

If either, or neither of those witty sayings were included in the film, the film is much the poorer because of their lack, at least to me.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're reasonably knowledgeable about Goldfinger, you already know most of what's in the this video. But it's still entertaining. Very Happy

_ 12 Things You Missed in James Bond Goldfinger

Is there no man on Earth who has the wisdom and innocence of a child?
~ The Space Children (1958)
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sixteen years old when I first saw Goldfinger in 1964, and I was amazed by this brilliant, charming, and brave hero.

Connery made it all look so easy — and the world agreed with me. The age the Spy Craze went into high gear! Cool

The amazing thing about Goldfinger — and way Sean Connery played Bond — was that he never actually "showed off". He did everything well and he did casually, although he did look like he was enjoying himself.

Even when he was driving around in the coolest spy car ever, he acted like it was just piece of standard equipment.

And even when he was in deadly danger, he never looked worried about his fate. Being in deadly danger was just part of his job. He wasn't surprised that somebody wanted to kill him.

And yet Sean Connery was just as cool while he was playing golf for high stakes with the murderous Goldfinger — after that bastard had killed the beautiful Shirley Eaton. Sad

Other action heroes like Mel Gibson and Bruce Willis would have been just itchin' to throttle that fat son of a bitch the first chance theu got!

In Goldfinger we always felt like Bond had his mind on the mission . . . even though he was aware of the lovely ladies who were eager to be hustled into the sack.

The interesting thing about Bond in Goldfinger is the way he casually dealt with bad guys without simply shooting them. Smackin' 'em down in clever ways was much cooler — like the way he tossed the electric heater into the bathtub, prior to the opening credits in this movie.

Awesome . . . Cool

And even when Bond was battling Oddjob in the Fort Knox vault, he used the Korean killer's own hat against him.

Again . . . awesome.

That's why this is the best Bond movie of all . . . until Pierce Brosnan came along and took over, filling 007's shoes very well. Very Happy

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: We Have A Saying In Chicago Reply with quote

filmdetective wrote:
Once Is Happenstance,

Twice Is Co-Incidence,

and the Third time, it is

Enemy Action

I don't recall those Words of Wisdom from Ian Fleming's novel, Goldfinger, being used in the film.

Or, were they spoken in the film, when the battery in my hearing aid had just gone dead?

"Mr. Auric Goldfinger is a very powerful man.

If we wanted to crush you, he would only have to turn over in his sleep to do so."

Can't recall those additional words of wisdom being used in he film, either.

Anybody else notice the presence, or absence of those two sayings in the film, Goldfinger?

If either, or neither of those witty sayings were included in the film, the film is much the poorer because of their lack, at least to me.

None of those lines are in the film.

In the movie, when M first mentions the name Auric Goldfinger, Bond says, "Sounds like a French nail varnish." IIRC, in the book, he says, "Sounds like a Jew."
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This movie was really a life changer for me ! It portrayed form of , what today is called "Toxic masculinity".

Bah...It was the ONLY way to really be a MAN!

Besides....The chicks love the car !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: