ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...Last guess.... Could you be talking about the "face" on an early pre-production picture of Altair-4? Vaugly you can sort of make out an eye...nose...open mouth about to gobble up one of the moons?

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Gord: Nope, It’s not Altair IV trying to eat one of it’s own moons. But good try!

I’ll give our Forbidden Easter Egg hunt until Friday. On Friday I’ll reveal where the face is [unless you guys can find it first]. Why it is licking it’s chops. And my thought on why it was possibly removed [or covered up].
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really been searching hard for the "sinister face" in the images from page 1-10 of this thread, but I'm still striking out! Sad

I realized today that Bob gave a few clues which I didn't pay close enough attention to, so I thought I'd repeat them below and speculate on just what they mean.

Perhaps Bob will need to correct some false assumptions I've made. So . . . here goes!

Bob Tarmac wrote:
The face you are all looking for is within the first ten pages of the Forbidden Planet forum.

That really narrows it down, and I've gone through those pages several times.

Bob Tarmac wrote:
I refer to it as a Dragon, but it is more of a sinister face licking it's chops, and once you see it you'll understand why it's licking it's chops.
I wondered if Altaira might be in the shot, or if the "monster" is gazing at a few crewmen.

Bob Tarmac wrote:
Once you see it, it will pop out at you, and you will never be able not to see it. The face is licking it’s chops, and for a good reason. The face want’s to eat something.
This hint is going to make perfect sense . . . after we find the face. But so far I can't make the info help me much. Sad

Bob Tarmac wrote:
To find it, you must look at "All" the artistic elements surrounding the movie.

At first I thought this could mean the face might even be part of a set, like the rocks around the house's entrance, such as in scenes like this.

Bob Tarmac wrote:
I accidentally found it by noticing a change in the art of the early movie. I think the artist creating the artwork made the sinister face too obvious and was told to remove it or tone it down.

Well now, this seems to mean the "face" is in a painting, such as the backdrops or the matte shots.

Unfortunately, that would leave out shots like these, because they only appear once, so there can't be early versions and later versions to compare and see the difference Bob mentioned.

Bob Tarmac wrote:
You will find it only by examining the very earliest artwork of the movie.

This one is the real stumper! I guess Bob means the face appears most clearly in one of the earliest "scenes" in the movie. But just how early? The first 30 minutes or less?

Bob Tarmac wrote:
I might also mention that the face is purposefully designed NOT to be seen. That is, it is purposely hidden in the open in plain sight . . .

Evidently the face is sort of "camouflaged", blending into the surrounding shot, and only discernible after you've detected a subtle pattern within the region that surrounds it.

The problem I'm having is finding a backdrop or matte painting which appears relatively early in the movie and then appears again (somewhat altered) one-or-more times later on.

I hope this help, guys! Bob has really given us a challenging puzzle, and I'm looking forward to finding out what the answer is. Cool

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...as I said it must be very subliminal. From the clues it sounds like it's an "intentional" depiction that was altered to "tone down" the image.

Boy....I'm non plused to say the least!

OK...Here's another possible answer....

In this picture the vase behind Adams has what appears to be a "face" with glowing eyes. Actually, it's a reflection from the studio lights. Here's a closeup...

If that's not it...I'm stumped!!!

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes you guys feel any better, I never saw it at first either. I passed over it thousands of times, never noticing it was there. It took me a very long time to happen upon it, and only because I noticed a 'change' in the artwork that didn't make any sense. After investigating why, it popped out at me.

Since I have mercy for Bud, I'll narrow it down even further for you guys. You can find the hidden face within the first five pages of the Forbidden Planet Forum.

One last hint. I also told Bud on Saturday or Sunday when we spoke, that " ... it's a big W ...." [stealing a line from 'IT'S A MAD MAD MAD WORLD'. Smile

[to Gord] Meaning; if you look too small, you won't find it. Likewise, if you look too overly large you won't find it either.

[to Bud] Thank you for listing all of the clues. None of them are misleading. Except maybe by me calling it a dragon, which it is not, it's a face that is very hungry. Smile
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Tarmac wrote:
To help you guys further with hints, and to help narrow down the hunt; A) The face you are all looking for is within the first ten pages of the Forbidden Planet forum. Darn, you missed it Bud. Smile B) I might also mention that the face is purposefully designed NOT to be seen. That is, it is purposely hidden in the open in plain sight like the FedEx arrow. All of you have seen the face a hundred million times, but have overlooked it because of this. Once you see it, it will pop out at you, and you will never be able not to see it. C) The face is licking it’s chops, and for a good reason. The face want’s to eat something.

The only sinister looking artwork that I've noticed is Robby's "face" in the first message of this thread, posted by Bud. Some artwork gives him an evil look and some makes him look more friendly. This picture looks like one of the former types. No chop-licking, though. Also, it's not hidden.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, we're loving this treasure hunt, and I know that the last thing any of us wants is for nobody to find the answer! Sad

Please feel free to hold off on revealing the solution as long as you want! But of course, teasing us with more glues as the game goes on is exactly what we all love! Smile

Bob, a few years ago we all spent months trying to find what this damn thing is, and even though we dug up info about its history in many different movies and TV series all the way back to a 1930s serial . . . we still don't know who first designed and built this work of art! Shocked

Just FYI: We all refer to it now as . . . the Gizmo!

~ The Space Children (1958)
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it looks like a "face"...I think we've always realized that. But....no one glaring eye...no tongue hanging out...Doesn't really fit the description.
Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HINT =)
https://youtu.be/r97Nv8N7-mI
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things.

1) I click on the link and I get a message stating:

So something is wrong!

2) How do I down-load your electronic tonalities/music?

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eadie, I have no idea what link you’re talking about. The link above your post is a YouTube link. It goes to a movie clip for a tongue-in-cheek look at the big W. What is Savefrom Net?

As for downloading my tonalities from SoundCloud, I have no idea, I haven’t logged in to that site in almost 10 years.
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked, didn't see it. But looking at the first few pages, something did occur to me. When the Id is breaking into the lab, Adams draws his blaster to kill Morbius. How? Robby disabled his and Doc's blasters earlier.

I guess he could have stabbed Morbius to death with the emitter, or beaten him to death with the handle. But he would have had to act quickly. Anyway you look at it, Altaira was going to be VERY traumatized.

David.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proper YouTube™ site for The Big W is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r97Nv8N7-mI

I only know about SaveFrom.net from the message. Even a Google search gave nothing. My provider is from HughesNet satellite.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Robby has one of those days!

The crew class B uniform modified for The Twilight Zone episodes Death Ship and On Thursday We Leave For Home:

This was taken at night along the Amazon river by a special camera. It shows a tree glowing by Rhadophyll.

Rhadophyll is a coined term about plants that naturally use a mixture of chlorophyll, carotenoid and anthocyanin where the chlorophyll is dominated by the other chemicals so the plant naturally is red in color. It's very unusual for this glow. That's still being studied.:

This is what's happened on Altair IV due to the star's emission spectrum according to a study by Victoria Meadows of the Virtual Planet Laboratory (VPL) at Caltech.

Did you know that the early Earth was purple? info at

https://www.livescience.com/1398-early-earth-purple-study-suggests.html

Last edited by Eadie on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie, I did a little online digging and found out that users can only download tracks from Soundcloud if the artist (in this case, Bob Tarmac) has set his account to allow downloads.

Bob probably didn't do that back when he was using Soundcloud, and as he stated above, he hasn't even logged on in ten years.

We'll just have to listen on our computers. Sad

As for The Great Monster Face Hunt, remember that its something we see IN THE MOVIE (not posters or preproduction artwork).

And — according to Bod — it's something we see EARLY in the movie. But we also see it again later, and the whatever-it-is has been altered somehow, so the "face" is less discernible.

Today Bob repeated the importance of remember the Big W from It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. He obviously knows we're going to all slap our foreheads and say, "Doh!" when he reveals the answer and we suddenly realize that it's been starring us in the face.

Especially since he just told us that it's located on page one of this thread. Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 115 of 143

Jump to: