ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Japanese Sci-Fi Cinema
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975) Reply with quote

The last of the original wave of Zilla movies.

It has a mixed reputation among the fans, but Terror of Mechagodzilla is a romp of a sequel, one that's not without deep emotional heart.

The plot is bonkers of course; aliens are plotting to rule the world and have recreated Mechagodzilla after Godzilla shredded it to pieces in the previous meeting of the two beasts (Godzilla V Mechagodzilla).

There's Interpol agents running around not exactly in control of anything, and a vengeful scientist with an agenda who aids the aliens, while his daughter has become a cyborg designed to control Titanosaurus, a gigantic amphibious dinosaur that teams up with Mechagodzilla to stomp on Tokyo. All is lost for mankind . . . until Godzilla climbs out of the ocean to hopefully protect his domain.

The return of Ishirō Honda to the director's chair is a reassuring presence, and it helps the film retain a classy production level.

The monster smack-downs are neatly choreographed, the model work is wonderfully 1970s, and Akira Ifukube's thunderous score gladdens the spirit as it simultaneously rocks your bones. Yukiko Takayama's screenplay contains intelligence, where the sci-fi boffin speak is spliced with deep observations on humanity and what it means to be part of such a race, etc.

Fan division usually comes down to who likes super-hero Godzilla or who likes Godzilla in "destroy everything" mode. This is the former, and it's cheer worthy.

The atomic lizard in a bad mood would not surface again for 10 years, and by then the direction of Zilla's fortunes got increasingly silly. This marks "Terror" as something of a franchise closure to be cherished, and rightly so because it has all the good parts that made the first Toho wave so enjoyable.

So, turn up the volume, open your screens out, and indulge.

Wonderful. 8/10

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike's marvelous review has actually tempted me to watch this Japanese classic! I figure that if I consume enough of my favorite beverage, I'll loose my inhibitions actually be able to appreciate it. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Japanese Sci-Fi Cinema All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: