ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peter Pan Live! (NBC 2014)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Peter Pan Live! (NBC 2014) Reply with quote

From Wikipedia:

Peter Pan Live! is the upcoming live television special and a new production of the 1954 musical adaptation of Peter Pan, scheduled to air on NBC on December 4, 2014. Craig Zadan and Neil Meron will serve as executive producers. The live special will be narrated by Minnie Driver, who is also cast as the adult Wendy. The Making of Peter Pan Live! will air on NBC on November 26, 2014. The production was developed after The Sound of Music Live! proved a commercial success for NBC in 2013.

(This is the same one that you Respected Elders of the Tribe Sci-Fi will remember as being done by Mary Martin.)

Some changes will be made for this version of the show, including the addition of new songs with lyrical adaptations by Amanda Green, the daughter of Adolph Green, who, with Jule Styne and Betty Comden, added some songs for later productions, including Never Never Land. Among the songs include the Captain Hook song Vengeance, an adaptation of Ambition from the Styne-Comden-Green musical Do Re Mi, a Wendy song Only Pretend adapted from I Know About Love also from Do Re Mi, the Peter and Hook duet A Wonderful World Without Peter adapted from Something???s Always Happening On The River from the Styne-Comden-Green musical Say, Darling. In addition, the song Ugg-a-Wugg, which contained very racially sensitive lyrics, was rewritten into a new song entitled True Blood Brothers. Also, Oh My Mysterious Lady, a song written with Mary Martin in mind, has been cut.

Cast

Allison Williams as Peter Pan
Christopher Walken as Captain Hook
Christian Borle as Mr. Smee and George Darling
Kelli O'Hara as Mrs. Darling
Taylor Louderman as Wendy Darling
Alanna Saunders as Tiger Lily
Jake Lucas as John Darling
John Allyn as Michael Darling
Caitlin Houlahan as Jane
Minnie Driver as adult Wendy and The Narrator

The official site:

http://www.nbc.com/peter-pan-live

Last edited by Eadie on Wed May 20, 2020 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like they're breaking tradition by having the same actor play the dual roles of George Darling and Mr. Smee, rather than George Darling and Captain Hook. Since it's a live production, maybe Walken wasn't up to the demands of the wardrobe/makeup changes.

WayneO
-----------
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allison Williams takes on her father's role as Peter Pan.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out that Allison Williams is not the daughter of Robin Williams, but the daughter of NBC news anchor Brian Williams.

The play was fantastic! My Godfather, Butch, has both the Mary Martin and Cathy Rigby versions and I am going to watch them, too!

Last edited by Eadie on Wed May 20, 2020 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerald Duck Call Award

Eadie, you are our Peter Pan -- a magical youth who encourages us to stay young, and who inspires our spirits to soar! Very Happy

Sorry. Embarassed I was overcome with emotion when I discovered your Peter Pan post today . . . for the first time . . . a week and half after you made it . . .

(How the heck did I miss this? Shame on me!)

But that turned out to be very fortunate for me, because I watched the show last night and loved it. So your post caught me at the just right time for me to appreciate it.

Heck, I didn't even know it was coming on until Bulldogtrekker ask me on Facebook last night about 6:00 if I was going to watch it! Shocked

Based on his suggestion, I did watch it. And I conversed with Captain BDT on Facebook during the show. It was wonderful!

We entertained ourselves during the commercials with YouTube videos of the Mary Martin version (the 1960 production), which I had fond memories of watching when I was just a wee little Monsterkid. In fact, I watched it each year from way back when NBC first started airing it in the 1950s!

Here's the entire show from good old YouTube.

Hey, Eadie! I just figured out why I missed your original post back on November 25th! That was the day I spent three hours writing my post about the Crispy Potato Salad, and then actually making my famous Thanksgiving dish (another four hours).

So, I neglected to check for new posts that day -- and of course the next day your post wouldn't have appeared on the list of "new posts". So, I missed it!

But it all worked out perfectly, because reading it today after watching it last night was a real treat.

Thanks, Eadie. And please give my regards to the Lost Boys in NeverNever Land! Very Happy
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendy's daughter, Jane, and I will give your regards to the Lost Boys ??? if they ever manage to stay in one place long enough!

WE are the Lost GIRLS! (Girls Rule, Boys Drool!)

Last edited by Eadie on Wed May 20, 2020 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i was very young, my parents took me to see Mary Martin as "Peter Pan" performed on the huge circular stage at the Carousel Dinner Theater in Akron Ohio. It was a 180 degree stage with dinner patrons seated all the way around the stage. The cast had to keep playing to all the dinner guests by continually turning and facing various sections of the audience continuously all throughout the play! The sets were built completely 3 dimensionally so everything could be viewed properly from any point anywhere around the stage.

Stage is on right, dinner tables are 180 degrees around the half circle stage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: