ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
The story I read...

That's the way I heard (read) it as well. It also makes more sense in that order, owing to the fact that Goff's model sold the concept, and seeing how many photos Walt posed for with the model.

The design did go through a number of permutations on paper before being finalized, exhibiting varying degrees of detailing away from a smooth hull. The drawings may be what failed to sway Walt before he saw the model.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching my new DVD of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, I ran it again while listening to the commentary provided by director Richard Fleischer and Rudy Behlmer. It was a wonderful experience to hear these two deliver a wealth of fascinating info about the production of the film.

Fleischer and Behlmer detailed the creative efforts which Walt and his people made to bring this classic to the screen, providing fans like myself with details about the making of the movie which greatly enhanced my enjoyment of it.

If you don't own the DVD of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, you're in for a real treat! Very Happy

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVD of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea has some amazing bonus features, included a 90 minute "Making of . . . " feature that uses behind-the-scenes footage which was considered lost until it was discovered in the Disney vaults! Fortunately, all the film elements are in excellent condition. Very Happy

This special feature is amazingly well done, with skillful editing and several pieces of opening music provided by Alan Sylvestri (if my fine ear for musical styles is correct) along with lots of segments from the great score of the film.

The "Making of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" is worth the price of the DVD, even without the movie! It's so good that 30 minutes into the 90 minute documentary I was ready to watch the movie again, even though I just watch it day before yesterday!

I recommend watching this documentary before watching the movie, because it will heighten your appreciation and anticipation for this movie to a tremendous degree!

It's THAT good . . . Shocked

Call me crazy, but the segment about the scenes shot in Jamaica and all the fun the cast had with the Jamaican's who played the cannibals reminded me of the wonderful scenes filmed in Africa by Bruce Brown in his surfing documentary, Endless Summer!

And I was just about to submit this post when I discovered that YouTube has the full documentary! Enjoy this great video and I think you'll agree with my comments above!

_____ The Making of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne, Butch can't get into the Nautilus Submarine site no matter what he does (even a new account did not work!).

He wanted these posted but couldn't. Can you copy these from his Imgur™ account [ https://butch01.imgur.com/ ] in the album Jules Verne and get them there? He thinks these are new. The Nautilus lit up for Bastille Day (July 14th) last year:

Concept for a 20KLUtS ride at Disneyland Paris like they used to have at Walt Disney World:

Not sure but it appears to be the sub for the ride nearing completion of construction:

Imagineering Department Company parking sign:

Imagineering Department Towing sign. (Who does the towing, the Nautilus?);

Enjoy everyone! (Bud, I'm sorry that the three pics are to big but I wasn't sure that they copy off Imgur™'s site for Wayne to post on nautilussub.com)

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie: Mission accomplished.

A couple comments...

Re the ride sub concept sketch, "T.D.S." usually stands for Tokyo DisneySea.

The b/w photo of the Nautilus is a close-up detail of an ornate fireplace in Walt's Restaurant at Disneyland Paris. Here are a couple photos showing more of the fireplace.

WayneO
-----------
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
Bud, I'm sorry that the three pics are too big, but I wasn't sure that they copy off Imgur™'s site for Wayne to post on nautilussub.com)

Actually I noticed them on Butch's Imgur account this morning and resized them even before I saw your new post!

So, they were already just right by the time I saw them again here, a little while later! And if Wayne used Butch's Imgur jpeg codes, that means they weren't too big for the Nautilus Submarine board either! Very Happy

If those directions I sent about how to resize pictures on Imgur weren't clear, please let me know. I'll make them more helpful if I need to. Cool

It also occurred to me that your teacher in computer class might be able to show you how to resize images on a Mac. Then they would be the right size even before you uploaded them. That's what I do, and I believe Wayne said he did it that way, too.
Wink
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A companion piece to the CFQ article, Andy Probert's original painting for the cover:

The ULTIMATE in travel posters (In my not-so-humble opinion!):

(I just love that disclaimer at the bottom!)

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Eadie. The Nautilus over Atlantis:

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
The "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" ride at the Orlando park used the same technology, but with subs designed to look like scaled-down versions of the movie Nautilus above the waterline. That ride was closed in 1994 and never re-opened.

In 1986 I took my family to Disney World when the kids were 3 and 6 years old, and I carried the gizmo shown below on my hip for several days, recording the sounds of the rides, along with the gleeful sounds my children made while reacting to the magical experience as only kids can do.

I made ten 90-minute cassette tapes over a three-day period which (when listened to with stereo headphones) recreate the experience with remarkable clarity.

Even though the recorder had built-in stereo mics, I improved the quality of the audio by using a separate stereo microphone plugged into the back of the recorder. I could easily hold it between my children during the rides and get their voices in the audio "foreground" while the ride sounds played in the "background".

My daughter is now in her thirties (and a member of All Sci-Fi), with two wonderful children of her own, and I would love to take them to Disney World and enjoy the same kind of experiences with her and my two grand kids. Very Happy

Krel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, that's a fantastic story, and an even more fantastic thing to have done. I hope that you have copied the tapes over to MP3 files, to preserve and have.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, my plans to copy them to CDs were interrupted about a year ago by a messy divorce that makes it difficult for my daughter to retrieve the tapes I loaned her several years ago so she could share them with her own kids.

The ex-husband is not a nice person, so she's reluctant to go back to their former home and recover some items (like the tapes) which were left behind.

It's even possible that he's thrown them away. Sad

But my daughter may yet succeed in rescuing them and mailing them back to old Dad so he can make copies for both her and me. She doesn't own a cassette player anymore, so she needs CDs just to listen to them, and I want to make sure I have CD copies in case I'm listening to one of the tapes it gets damaged.

My "player of choice" for the hundreds of tapes I have which contain music I've recorded from vinyl and various other sources — along with dozens of tapes I made over the years of get-togethers with friends at restaurants and backyard cookouts using the recorder shown above — is the Sony Sports Walkman WM-FS399 with auto-reverse.

_________

I've got 15 of them, all purchased from eBay.

When one stops working, I take out another . . . and then I replenish my reserve by purchasing another one from eBay.

This rare and valuable item gets harder and more expensive to replace every year, since Walkmans haven't been manufactured since April of 2010.

The Sony Sports Walkmans were made to be extremely durable, so like-new units are still being sold on eBay for around $25. The WM-FS399 model was the top of the line, the last of the breed, so the ones being sold are newer (and better designed) than the previous models.

In fact, when I went to eBay just now to check the typical prices while writing this post, I discovered that (a) precious few the Sports Walkmans were currently iisted, and (b) there was one in prime condition being offered as "Buy it Now" for only $19.99! Shocked

Here's one of the eight highly detailed pictures the seller provided.

_______

So . . . what the hell, I bought it! Very Happy

The seller guarantees delivery in 4 days, and both eBay and Paypal have a money-back guarantee, even if the seller chooses to jeopardize his 100% satisfaction rating by not refunding my money if it doesn't work! Very Happy

So, soon I'll have 16 Sony Sports Walkmans in reserve, which doesn't even count the one I'm currently taking to the gym etc, and the one I have in the car to play tapes through a gizmo that sends the music to my FM radio. (The car's tape player broke in 2005. Sad )

I hope I won't die until the last one I own stops working. And if God has decided to let me live until that happens . . . I want be sure to have plenty on hand to extend my life span!

"Live long, and Play Tapes", as Spock might have said.

And just to bring this thread back to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, I also have a tape of the Movie Night my friends and I had 1980, at which our host converted his living room into the Nautilus dinning room, and he served his guests a complete seafood dinner (brought earlier from Captain D's).

But everything was presented on fine China and silverware at a large dinning table.

Hidden speakers behind the furniture played the constant sound of the Nautilus engines, with periodic announcements from Captain Nemo (imitated by our host), telling us to enjoy ourselves despite the fact he "couldn't join us" for dinner. Cool

MY contributions to the evening included this three-foot wide painting it took me weeks to paint —

— along with several graphite drawings you can see about halfway down Fan Art Gallery 1, along with this small "background painting" for a cake (shown below) made by one of the other guest.

Yeah, I know, you've seen all this before in an earlier post . . . but I didn't want Wayne to scold me for hi-jacking the thread and going "off topic". Rolling Eyes

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Would that make it a . . . SUBmachine gun?

Oh no you didn’t just say that! Laughing
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekriffic wrote:
Bud Brewster wrote:
Would that make it a . . . SUBmachine gun?

Oh no you didn’t just say that! Laughing

Well. no . . . not out loud, anyway. Embarassed

Besides, I wrote that back in 2015, so I think the statute of limitations on bad humor has run out!

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly the movie, but Kirk Douglass was on The Jack Benny Program (CBS 1954) and did a Spoof:

It was titled Jam Session At Jack's and was broadcasted on December 17, 1954.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: