ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Magnetic Monster (1953)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
Then he goes off on a tangent and talks about how Ray Bradbury's stories somehow teach us to "just get along", and we should learn to do the same with MAGNETIC MONSTER. HUH?? I wonder how he feels about ISIS.

I suspect that he is not a person who enjoys so-called hard science fiction. He complains that the entire movie is too dry and "talky". He doesn't like all of the boring scientific explanations and narration. In fact, he seems to spend a good share of his time berating the movie on this and other points.

These two items alone prove that this guy is nuttier than an Almond Joy!

I get a funny mental image of Richard Carlson and King Donovan debating the merits of simply "talking" to the unstable element, getting to know it better, finding out if it has mother issues, showing the poor misunderstood element that they accept it for what it is, without judgment, regardless of its race, creed, color, atomic weight, or sexual orientation. Rolling Eyes

And my goodness, what kind of science fiction film "expert" would miss the obvious fact that The Magnetic Monster is carefully constructed to be a "Dragnet" style mystery? The exciting ending is a bonus in an otherwise thoughtful intellectual exercise.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetroPolly wrote:
BTW, I downloaded the dailymotion version Bud suggested, and maybe the version got screwed up somewhere, but my audio was about 3 min(!) fast.

Was the audio actually running faster than the picture, or was it just 3 minutes ahead of the picture? There are a number of free, easy-to-use online programs to fix a video file when the sound isn't properly synchronized.
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a follow-up to remarks I made 2 years ago (Aug 17, 2016) about the Bluray's commentary track by Derek Botello.

I just watched a very recent release of the same Bluray disc (more recent than my 2-year old disc discussed above). I was surprised to find that Botello has redone his commentary track and has corrected (in all but a few instances) the mispronunciation of "Siodmak", "Serranium", and "David O. Selsnick". I guess he actually reads viewers' comments at places like ASF.

However, other than his spelling corrections, his script remains essentially the same, and so does his understanding and opinion of the movie. He still just doesnt get it.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
OK, I just received the KL Bluray release.

Other than a handful of trailers for this and other films, the only other extra is an audio commentary by Derek Botello. And that's where Kino-Lorber screwed up. It's an awful commentary by a guy who apparently knows very little about this or other 50s scifi movies, even though he is/was a writer of some kind for Fangoria Magazine.

I forced myself to listen to his entire commentary . . .

Steve, I really enjoyed re-reading your detailed and well-written critique on page 1 of this thread. I highly recommend it to the members of All Sci-Fi.

I was impressed by the thoroughness of your analysis, and I'm sure it took you several hours to compose that fine post.

I also appreciate the more recent update on that audio commentary. Did you buy the re-released Blu-ray or get it some other way? Cool

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Did you buy the re-released Blu-ray or get it some other way?

Bud-
I don't remember where I saw the second disc. I probably borrowed it from a friend. Surely someone else with a newer disc can verify my observations. The revised commentary would be on a Kino Lorber Blu-ray disc that was produced some time between August 2016 and August 2018, or later.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed this mildly humorous "review" of The Magnetic Monster. Laughing

______ Bad Movie Review: The Magnetic Monster

Captain Starlight
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too fond of this movie. It just hasn't got a lot of pizzazz. The "monsters" is too small to see, it doesn't eat people, and it isn't intelligent.

Maybe the movie should have been called "The Magnetic Emergency". But that sounds pretty dull.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: