ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Quiet Place (2018)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: A Quiet Place (2018) Reply with quote

I thought this one would be a supernatural thriller, but it turned out to be sci-fi, and a good one to boot.

It takes place after some ravenous alien creatures, apparently arriving via a meteor shower, have devastated Earth's population, along with much of its wildlife. They're blind, they hunt by sound, and seem to be indestructible. So anybody who has survived has done so by being vewy,
vewy quiet.

I found the movie intense throughout with no parts where I felt I could get away with going to the bathroom. Acting was good, first rate CGI effects for the creatures, and the music score added to the feeling of dread. There were maybe a couple minor plot holes that might disappear on a second viewing. But they were more along the lines of, "You mean to say that nobody in the story ever thought of that?" rather than screenplay oversights.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've yet to watch this movie. If you haven't either, here's the trailer. And if you have, please tell us about it. Very Happy

_________ A Quiet Place (2018) - Official Trailer

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite of the more recent sci fi thriller, suspense, monster movies.

The tension is intense throughout as the protagonists try to survive in the basement of their rural farmhouse. When they have to go foraging for food and supplies they do so on pathways spread with ash to muffle their footsteps.

The monsters move at lightning speed. A pair of unfortunate noisy raccoons gets swept off the path in less than a heartbeat. The aliens themselves appear to resemble the creatures seen in the underworld of “Stranger Things” with heads that open up like blossoms to reveal rows of teeth.

Lots of great character development with the mom and dad being played by actual married actors.

I loved this movie and would highly recommend it.

I understand a sequel has been made which I look forward to viewing someday.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This movie (And the sequel- A QUIET PLACE 2 ) was filmed around my home city. Scene after scene is filmed in places I've gone to hundreds of times!

Still a good film...even if it felt like it was happening in my back yard!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: