ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sci-Fi Steve
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Sci-Fi Steve Reply with quote

Has anybody been able to connect to Sci-Fi Steve's website (scifisteve.com) lately? I've been unable to connect for several weeks now.

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His Twitter feed stops on March 21....the day after his birthday. I can't find anything more recent.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gord. I hope that's not a bad omen.

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Jennings in the March 2018 issue of his fanzine TIGHTBEAM has a few comments on Steve Johnson...

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "three Ralston Rockets touring the country"??? Up to now I've known of only two.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I know Scifisteve's full name, I looked for an obituary announcement which might explain his sudden disappearance from the web.

Happily I could NOT find one. Very Happy

But that leaves us with the mystery of what's happened to Scifisteve! Why are his various on-line endeavors suddenly missing?

We've lost so many of the folks we admire here at All Sci-Fi — like Bill Warren (noted author of Keep Watching the Skies), Bogmeister (Andrew Bogdan, who was my co-site admin for years on the version of the board that crashed in 2014), and Randy Everett (who saved All Sci-Fi when the old board crashed, and then served as co-site admin for several years until he passed away).

I don't want All Sci-Fi to vanish from the web again and leave its members wondering why it suddenly ceased to exist.

After pondering this very real possibility, I made an important decision today. I called my daughter, (All Sci-Fi member Ticket2theMoon), and told her that I wanted this board to live on after I'm gone so she and my two grandchildren could enjoy my artwork, my published novels (with illustrations created specifically for them), and all the wonderful discussions that All Sci-Fi contains!

I told her I would make her a site admin and give her the server log-in info she'd need to keep our web host funded and active, long after I'm gone.

She eagerly agreed to maintain All Sci-Fi after I leave this mortal realm, so that she and my grandchildren (the oldest of whom is also a member) can enjoy this unique project which their creative ancestor started over ten years ago and poured his heart and soul into . . . right up until the day he died!

So, I hope our valued members will continue to add their wonderful contributions to All Sci-Fi and leave a lasting legacy for my beloved offspring. This board is my creative outlet, the "treasure chest" of my artistic creations — and I want it to serve the same purpose for all its members.

Please feel free to share your own brilliance on this board, folks! That's what All Sci-Fi is for!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SciFi Steve must have fixed the YouTube tour of his 113 Heavy Jump Multidimensional Ship since the article above was written, as it's running fine for me.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link to the video Orzel-w mentioned, although the date on the vido is Dec 21, 2017, so we don't know if Steve Johnson is still with us.

3D Tour of the 113 Heavy Jump Multidimensional Ship * Scifisteve

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His Youtube posts are awesome, and hopefully will exist for a very long time.

I understand your thoughts on mortality....They are close...maybe closer... to those felt by those of us at our present places in the passage of time.

Your efforts are to be hailed...that this forum should transcend a single lifetime. That our thoughts...as ephemeral and irreverent as they may be, may be preserved to at least spur on those who come after us to examine...to question...and to revel in all aspects of Science Fiction in all its forms.

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no connection to scifisteve.com. Sad

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched again, but came up empty.

Perhaps he has ascended to a higher realm . . . and he's chatting with Bulldogtrekker. Sad

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScifiSteve has created some very good 3D tours that are all worth viewing. I have managed to catch a goof, however, in the tour of the "This Island Earth" ship at
https://youtu.be/WwWkD0kMeKA

When calculating the physical dimensions of Exeter's ship, he says that his only size reference is the Piper Cub that Cal and Ruth rode into the belly of the saucer (The Cub, he says, is about 30 feet long with a wing span of 35 feet). The Cub actually has a length of about 22 ft and not the stated 30 feet. If he used the incorrect 30 ft length for reference, then there may be size errors of as much as about 30% in his rendering. I, however, am not anxious to recalculate his numbers. I'm happy with things just as they are.

Also, that's not a Piper Cub - it's a Stinson 108-1. Its size is about the same as the Cub, so his calculations should be essentially correct, no matter which plane he used as his yardstick, as long as he used CORRECT length dimension.

The Cub is 22 ft 3 in long (not 30 ft long), and 35 ft 2 in wing span.

The Stinson's length is 23 ft 3 in, and 33 ft 8 in wide. Furthermore, it has side-by-side seating, which is a dead giveaway that it's not a Piper Cub, which has a tandem seating arrangement..
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, came up with a different size for the saucer. In his YouTube video, Steve estimates the saucer's length between 195 and 235 feet. The Saucer Fleet book gives a calculated length of 198 feet. The problem is that the Stinson appears to change size, depending on whether it's being captured or escaping.

In the upper screen grab, the Stinson's length is about 40% of the diameter of the opening. In the lower image it's closer to 58%. Using the upper image (because I like my saucers mas macho), I come up with a saucer length of about 287 feet.

WayneO
-----------
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
... The problem is that the Stinson appears to change size, depending on whether it's being captured or escaping.

Maybe they forgot to put it in the decompression tube on the return trip.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is listed on YouTube™ as scifisteve1954, if this os of any help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: