ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Terminator (1984)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: The Terminator (1984) Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I didn't realize this movie was made by James Cameron until after T2: Judgement Day came out! And I was actually surprised, because this movie really hadn't impress me very much!

Come on, now . . . let's be honest, folks. The Terminator just doesn't have the slick look, the gorgeous photography, and the flawless special effects of T2. The story is great . . . but the presentation looks like a B movie compared to the stunning sequel.

Yeah, yeah, I know — the budget was lower, and the filmmakers did the best they could, so blah blah blah. Rolling Eyes

But hell's bell, I can't like the look of a low-budget movie more just because it would have looked better IF it had a larger budget!

That's like saying your blind date was really pretty . . . except for her big nose, her buck teeth, and her face filled with pimples! Shocked

Still, The Terminator certainly impressed a lot of people more than it impressed me, and the story is very strong. Linda Hamilton is a dynamic actress, and by the time she starred in the sequel, her talent had benefited from her experience.

One thing I find very interesting when comparing these two movies is that despite my life-long love for stop-motion animation, Stan Winston's earnest efforts to create the steel-skeleton robot after the fire burns away the flesh just didn't impress me. Sad

But the robots at the beginning T2 were created with practical effects, and they look much better. Plus the ground-breaking CGI effects dazzled me and won my foolish heart completely.

So, with apologies to all the folks who enjoyed this movie the way I truly wish I had, I'd judge it to be the weakest of all the Terminator movies by quite a wide margin.

__________________ The Terminator - trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skullislander
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the intensity and low budget verve of this movie---the sequel is a mega-blockbuster in comparison but I like them both equally for different reasons.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a fan-made trailer for The Last Starfighter (1984) on the thread for that movie, and the trailer had this amusing message at the beginning.

I wondered just how true the claim at the bottom was, so I made a list of 1980s science fiction films that I thought were good, just to see if that decade really did produce a significant number of “the best” sci-fi movies.

This movie is on the list I made. I know what I like about the film (and a few things I don’t like), but I’d like to hear the pros and cons from the rest of you folks.

So, what do you think, guys? Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: