ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please, DO NOT USE HOSTPIC on All Sci-Fi!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Please, DO NOT USE HOSTPIC on All Sci-Fi! Reply with quote

WARINNG! Do NOT used Hostpic All Sci-Fi!

While spending the last few weeks fixing all the glitches on All Sci-Fi which were caused when we imported the database from Randy Everett's server to my own — namely those damned ??? which appear in place of certain punctuation marks — I've discover several posts with missing jpegs with the Hostpic jpeg codes!

And I noticed that those missing jpegs are less than two years old! This confirms what I've read online about how Hostpic dumps their older jpegs after about two years! Shocked

Folks, please use a reliable image host like IMGUR, which is free and very user friendly. In addition to repairing all the posts by our members which contain those damned ??? characters instead of apostrophes, quotation marks, and em dashes, I've been replacing all the Photobucket codes on my own posts with copies I placed in my IMGUR account.

IMGUR allows UNLIMITED storage, so I can easily replace all the jeps on All Sci-Fi (my own and everybody else's) which might be in danger of suddenly vanishing!

We all know that the Photobucket jpegs used by Robert "Butch" Day and orzel-w stopped working several months ago. When that happened, I spent a few weeks replacing Orzel-w's jepgs on the posts I happened to find. But eventually orzel-w began replacing his own Photopucket codes with IMGUR codes from his own account.

Over the last two months, I have also replaced 90% of the Photobucket jpegs on Butch's many posts, along with those on the posts made by both Eadie and Pye-rate, who also use Butch's PB account.

The bottom line is this: DO NOT use Hostpic for your images. They are likely to vanish in about two years. And DO NOT use Photobucket, either. They will eventual vanish, as well.

Please set up an account with a reliable image host like IMGUR so that your valuable posts won't be marred by jpegs that stop working! Shocked

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Hostpic.org to host my pictures because it's quick and simple. I thought it was common knowledge that they dump image files after two years or so.

I figure there aren't too many people who'll be reading my posts more than two years from now. Besides, if I notice any pictures missing from my older posts, I can always re-upload them.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
I figure there aren't too many people who'll be reading my posts more than two years from now. Besides, if I notice any pictures missing from my older posts, I can always re-upload them.

Don't be so modest, scotpens!

I want all our members' posts to remain intact for years! We've got many fine posts that go back to December 2013 — especially those by Bogmeister. And they're LOADED with pictures!

The only reason we don't have posts older than 2013 is because that's when this board was first created from scratch by me and Randy Everett to replace the previous board, which we knew was close to failing because of mismanagement on the part of the "free forum" web host it was part of.

The previous board existed from August 2007 to March 2014, so it had posts that were SEVEN years old! Very Happy

Actually, I've already converted every one of Bogmeister's Photobucket pictures to my own Imgur account, because I recently learned that poor Bogmeister past away in 2015, and I'm sure Photobucket will eventually delete his account for non-payment.

Have you investigated Imgur to see if you might like it? It's free, and very easy to use. You have 397 fine posts, many of which include interesting pictures. If those pictures start vanishing, your posts will suffer because of the loss — something none of us wants to happen! Sad

I'll create a "Scotpens" album on my Imgur account, the way I've done with orzel-w, Butch, Eadie, Brent Gair, and several other members whose images were on Photobucket and had already stopped working! Shocked

Initially I started replacing Bulldogtrekker's jegs, but he and I discussed the situation and he became concerned about his many Photobucket images disappearing, so he created his own Imgur account, and he has already replaced ALL his Photobucket jpegs.

Ditto for orzel-w, who began replacing his own images with Imgur versions not long after I began doing it one my own.

With your permission, scotpens, I'll replace any Hostpic images which I run across on your posts, using Imgur versions to make sure your posts don't suffer from their loss. But it would take me quite a while to check all 397 of your posts. I'm still making sure all of my own PB images are replaced on my 7,000+ posts! So, I'm hoping you'll do us all a favor and shore up those interesting comments of yours with reliable jeps. Very Happy

Unfortunately I can't replace Hostpic jpegs that have already stopped working! Despite the fact that I've discovered ways to rescue the "blocked" Photobucket jpegs of members whose accounts have been shut down by PB, once a Hostpic jpeg is gone it can't be copied to Imgur.

So, the clock is ticking, and about half of your posts we're made on of before March 2016 — which means about 200 your posts are now in danger of loosing their Hostpic images because they're past the two year limit! Shocked

Like this wonderful post about Fantastic Voyage, which was made by you in November 2014 with Hostpic images that may not be long for this world . . . or this board!

http://www.allsci-fi.com/viewtopic.php?p=2016&highlight=#2016
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when you put it that way . . .

Very well, you have my permission to re-host my pictures on Imgur. I've created my own Imgur account and I'll use that as my default image host from now on. I'll transfer as many pictures as I can whenever I have a few spare moments.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Very Happy

After battling the forces of evil and rescuing All Sci-Fi from the dark abyss, I'm passionate about preserving all the great contributions which make it such a fun online community for our small group of distinguished members.

Post with pride, good sir! We appreciate it. Cool

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must report that the host I've been using lately, postimg.org, has run into a problem - the Registry has suspended their domain, without any prior notice. They have started to use postimg.cc instead - maybe the old domain will become active again, but otherwise, feel free, if you have editing capabilities, to change my image urls by taking out "org" and substituting "cc"... I'll certainly do some, when I can.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer, I'm so sorry to hear the bad news about the image host you've often used. I thought your "postimg" pictures were safe, so I haven't been replacing any of them with Imgur versions, the way I have with any hostpic images by all of our members as I ran across them.

I have, however, been replacing the occasional Photobucket images of yours which I found. Please be sure not to used Photobucket any more, because they are getting more unreliable every day! Shocked

I'm almost finished replacing the mages in the Sci-Fi magazines and fanzines section, having started at the top of ASF's main index and working my way down for the last few weeks.

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've not used Photobucket for a while - since they went mad, basically. At least changing "org" to "cc" as an edit is pretty easy here - over at SFMB even in the edit box one has to right-click the little error image, choose "copy image address," back-space to get rid of the error, then put the img code in front of and behind the pasted-in address, and then change the "org" to "cc"... which takes a while.

If it's easier and safer for you to re-host the images at Imgur, feel free. Nothing on the internet is 100% safe - even if we hosted images on our own web space, the provider of that space might easily go out of business one day.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the past few months I've been going through every post on every thread here at All Sci-Fi, searching for Photobucket images that need to be replaced with versions hosted on Imgur.

Starting at the top of the main index, I've worked my way down through All Sci-Fi's many forums, and I'm currently on page 3 of the 15 pages of threads in the section called Science now, add Fiction later.

Whenever I find a Photobucket jpeg — either mine or anybody else's — I copy it to my own Imgur account. This allows me to replace the Photobucket codes with the Imgur codes to prevent the loss of those images when PB finally pulls the plug on everybody who hasn't paid their outrageous $399 a year! Shocked

Photobucket claims that members who paid for any of their less expensive plans up until June of last year would still enjoy third-party hosting of their images until December of this years.

I paid their $7.98 fee for years, but my last payment only took me through January of this year.

However, I've already encountered dozens of my own images which now won't display when I first open a post! I can refresh the page and bring the images back up, but clearly Photobucket is becoming less reliable every day.

I'm also encountering more and more Hostpic images and hot-linked images that are now completely gone, either because they've been removed from the Hostpic database or because the host of the hot-linked images change the image codes to stop them from working.

There's nothing I can do to save those pictures, folks, so please remember not use either Photobucket, Hostpic, or hot-linked images. All those posts which feature wonderful images will be ruined by the loss of those jpegs.

Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: