ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Rocketeer (1991)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, July of that year. I must say the report on movieweb.com then does seem quite reasonable:

Quote:
Disney's 1991 classic The Rocketeer is coming back to the big screen with a big twist. Walt Disney Pictures has put what is described as a "sequel-reboot" to the original movie in development, which will be called The Rocketeers and will be set six years after the events of the original, taking place at the outset of the Cold War. The title character will not be Cliff Secord from the original, with a new character taking over.

The original movie, based on the 1980s indie comic by Dave Stevens, followed Cliff Secord, played by Billy Campbell, a stunt pilot who discovers a rocket pack suit, as he goes on adventures that puts him in the crosshairs of monsters, Nazis and even industrialist Howard Hughes. The Hollywood Reporter reveals that Cliff Secord has disappeared while fighting the Nazis, which paves the way for a young African-American female pilot, who takes up the mantle of Rocketeer. She steps up to stop an ambitious and corrupt rocket scientist from stealing jet-pack technology in what could prove to be a turning point in the Cold War. Max Winkler and Matt Spicer have signed on to write the script.

The original movie only made $46.7 million at the box office, with the studio considering its performance disappointing, but the fan base kept growing to massive proportions over the years. The studio held a 20th Anniversary screening at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood back in 2011, with fans lining up for blocks for a chance to see this movie on the big screen again. The site reports that Disney started thinking of ideas to reboot this property around the same time as the anniversary screening, although they were trying to find ways to differentiate the property from Marvel's Iron Man.

Ironically, this reboot-sequel may actually have more in common with Iron Man than they think. Earlier this month, Marvel Comics announced that, at the end of their Civil War II comic book series, Tony Stark will step aside as Iron Man, paving the way for a 15-year-old African-American teenager named Riri Williams to take over as this iconic hero. It's possible that this comic book story line may have inspired Disney to go in a similar direction with their Rocketeers reboot-sequel, but we don't know for sure.

Making the main new character both African-American and female doesn't really fit too well with how things were 70 years ago, but that's movies for you...
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
Making the main new character both African-American and female...

Don't forget "young". (A teenager taking over for Tony Stark as well . . . Adults aren't fashionable anymore.) Rolling Eyes

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" . . . that's movies for you," is exactly right. Rolling Eyes

Disney somehow thought The Rocketeer would be confused with Iron Man, so they made the new version of the character young and African-American. But part of Custer's excerpt says this:

Custer wrote:
Ironically, this reboot-sequel may actually have more in common with Iron Man than they think. Earlier this month, Marvel Comics announced that, at the end of their Civil War II comic book series, Tony Stark will step aside as Iron Man, paving the way for a 15-year-old African-American teenager named Riri Williams to take over as this iconic hero. It's possible that this comic book story line may have inspired Disney to go in a similar direction with their Rocketeers reboot-sequel, but we don't know for sure.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I mentioned that.

But fortunately we'll be able to tell Iron Man apart from the Rocketeer because one will be played by a young female African-American, while the other will be played by a young male African-American. In either case it will probably spare us from being bombarded by scenes of heavy petting.

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvel does seem to like their writers to bring in new younger people to take over as their "big name" heroes... which they imagine makes an "ideal jumping on point" for new younger readers. The writers are in favour, as it means they can make their mark on the comics and get creative, instead of just pitting Peter or Bruce or Tony against a different villain. And then a year or so down the line they can announce "the return of the Bruce Banner Hulk" or whatever. And of course as most of the main heroes have been white, middle-aged males, there's always the temptation to bring in more "diversity." But that's comics for you... Wink
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid many of the comic books, Saturday matinees, and TV shows had adult heroes with juvenile sidekicks (e.g., Batman and Robin). As I recall, when we played at being these characters, the kids who were quick on their feet claimed the adult character ("Dibs on Batman!"). The consolation prize was always the juvenile sidekick. I don't recall one of us ever yelling out "Dibs on Robin!" as first choice. I guess times have changed.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
The consolation prize was always the juvenile sidekick. I don't recall one of us ever yelling out "Dibs on Robin!" as first choice. I guess times have changed.

Now it's the superheroes are saying, "Dibbs on being a juvenile, instead of an old fart!" Laughing

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
When I was a kid many of the comic books, Saturday matinees, and TV shows had adult heroes with juvenile sidekicks (e.g., Batman and Robin). As I recall, when we played at being these characters, the kids who were quick on their feet claimed the adult character ("Dibs on Batman!"). The consolation prize was always the juvenile sidekick. I don't recall one of us ever yelling out "Dibs on Robin!" as first choice. I guess times have changed.

Quote:
Though I may have pirated the super-heroes, I never went near their boy companions. I couldn't stand boy companions. If the theory behind Robin the Boy Wonder, Roy the Superboy, the Sandman's Sandy, the Shield's Rusty, the Human Torch's Toro, the Green Arrow's Speedy was to give young readers a character with whom to identify, it failed dismally in my case. The super grownups were the ones I identified with. They were versions of me in the future. There was still time to prepare. But Robin the Boy Wonder was my own age. One need only look at him to see he could fight better, swing from a rope better, play ball better, eat better, and live better -- for while I lived in the East Bronx, Robin lived in a mansion, and while I was trying, somehow, to please my mother -- and getting it all wrong -- Robin was rescuing Batman and getting the gold medals. He didn't even have to live with his mother.

-- from The Great Comic Book Heroes by Jules Feiffer
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Roy the Superboy" seems a bit obscure... apparently he was the sidekick to a hero called The Wizard back in the forties. A sixties revival, probably brief, had to make him "the Mighty Boy" apparently, to avoid upsetting DC...

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a blatant Superman knockoff, complete with a Lois Lane-type female reporter.

"Swami Rivers" -- Well, at least the writer had a sense of humor.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, Dave Stevens died in 2008, aged only 52. Of his comics work, Rocketeer certainly stands as his greatest achievement. Making Cliff's girlfriend the spitting image of Bettie Page was a great idea. To quote Wikipedia, "Stevens was a longtime admirer of 1950s glamour and pin-up model Bettie Page; he modelled the look of the Rocketeer's girlfriend after her and featured her image in other illustrations too, which helped contribute to the renewed public interest in Page and her modelling career. After discovering that the retired Page was still alive and lived near by, Stevens became friends with her, providing both personal assistance and helping to arrange financial compensation to her from various publishers for the use of her image and reprints of her many glamour and pin-up photos."

Let us hope that one day a proper reboot of the character will be seen on the silver screen, and that this time they handle its promotion rather better! "A television series for Disney Junior is being developed for 2019. The series focuses on a young girl named Kit who receives a rocket powered jet pack for her birthday," Wikipedia reports, which may be a spin-off from that abandoned second movie idea. I can't say that that will have anything to do with the original hero, other than the name.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short animated adventure of THE ROCKETEER can be found here.

Looks good!

____________ The Rocketeer 20th anniversary

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so impressed with that video that I just had to give you a free upgrade to encourage the other members to watch it! Very Happy

And by way, IMDB has 53 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

The character of Neville Sinclair was loosely modeled after Errol Flynn, who was suspected of being a Nazi spy.

Note from me: The fact that stupid rumors like this get started and persist makes me doubt the intelligence of the average person! (Thank God I'm well above average. Rolling Eyes)

A scene where Neville Sinclair sends a message to Berlin (coded first on an authentic Enigma machine found for the production) was filmed, but cut, due to running time constraints.

Note from me: I would like to have seen what "an authentic Enigma machine" looks like. The name is so appropriate!

The Gee Bee racer was nicknamed "The Widowmaker" and "The Flying Coffin" because it was incredibly difficult to fly and was prone to crashing. Because of its speed and maneuverability, some pilots still raced it despite the danger.

Note from me: And yet these unique planes have an esthetic appeal that grabbed me even when I was a kid! They look like "toy planes" that are real!

That's why I acquired some of the McDonald's "Happy Meal" toys from Disney's Tailspin animated series back in 1990 and still have them as decorations around my desktop computer in my studio!

In the original graphic novel, Cliff Secord's girlfriend is called Betty Page, not Jenny Blake. Dave Stevens (the creator of the comic novel) based the character "Betty Page" upon his real-life friend, 1950's pin-up girl Bettie Page. She would not allow her name to be used in the film.

Note from me: However, Dave Stevens helped Miss Page recover some the lost revenue she suffered from the publication of her photographs over the years, and they enjoyed a long and warm relationship.

Billy Campbell, who once studied commercial art, made sure to read the Dave Stevens graphic novel, on which this film was based. He got the part after getting a haircut to make himself look identical to the character in the graphic novel.

Note from me: And if this doesn't prove that Bill Campbell was the right man for that part, I'll vote for Donald Trump in the next election! Shocked

The original inventor of the rocket pack was thirties pulp novel hero Doc Savage, the Man of Bronze, in the original graphic comic book by Dave Stevens. However, because of licensing considerations, Disney did not seek permission from Conde Nast, the copyright holder of Doc Savage, and opted to substitute Doc Savage with the flamboyant billionaire Howard Hughes.

Note from me: The inclusion of Howard Hughes in this story was brilliant! I loved the way they integrated the famous millionaire aircraft designer into the fabric of the Rocketeer's universe. Very Happy

Lothar (Tiny Ron) was made-up to look like Rondo Hatton, who played similar characters in "B" movies, which inspired this movie. Ron can be seen out of make-up in a cameo, as one of two good old boys. He gapes as his companion marvels at the "Big gopher!"

Note from me: And if THAT doesn't give me a good reason to watch my Blu-ray of this movie in the next few months and freeze-frame that scene, my name isn't Bud Brewster! Shocked

Casting the lead role of Cliff Secord was a struggle for the filmmakers. Jeffrey Katzenberg even had one of the studio's then-staff writers, Karey Kirkpatrick, audition for the part. Kevin Costner and Matthew Modine were the first actors considered for the role. When they both proved to be unavailable, Emilio Estevez, Bill Paxton, Dennis Quaid, and Kurt Russell auditioned for the part. Johnny Depp was Disney's favorite choice, while Paxton commented he came "really close" to getting the lead. Vincent D'Onofrio turned down the role.

Note from me: As much as I may love Costner, Estevez, Paxton, Quaid, and Russell . . . I can't imagine a single one of those guys in the role of Cliff Secord!

Joe Pesci turned down the role of Eddie Valentine.

Note from me: Wow, I LOVE Joe Pesci! However, he would not have been right for the role of the gangster. Sad

Lloyd Bridges turned down the role of Peevy Peabody.

Note from me: Wow, I LOVE Lloyd Bridges! However, he would not have been right for the role of Peevy. Sad

The scene in which the Rocketeer flies around inside the ballroom was to be much more elaborate, but was cut back due to budget issues.

Note from me: That scene bothers me because it shows the rocket pack igniting fires on the tables it flies over. That's perfectly understandable . . . but how come the backsides of Cliff's legs don't get toasted by the rocket's exhaust every time he ignites it? Hmmm? Confused

While Jenny's character may be based on Bettie Page, she had an uncanny resemblance to Elizabeth Taylor, circa 1946.

Note from me: I never noticed any resemblance, but this photo of Jennifer does sort of suggest it.Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:46 am; edited 4 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few points here :

You really think Jennifer Conlley didn't just exude the Taylor look?

And that a female Rocketeer is a bit far out?

Really????

I met Dave Stevens around 1984 and I own a piece of his original art that I display on my office wall. He was a really nice guy too!

I think we need to watch this in the All Sci-Fi chat room and revisit this wonderful movie!

By the way . . . If there's a shot in this movie that always gives me goosebumps . . . It's this one . . .

It represents the true spirit of America . . . that of us old farts' mothers and fathers . . . the greatest generation!

To this day, my father, who was in the Battle of the Bulge in Belgium, will ALWAYS be my greatest hero.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
You really think Jennifer Connelly didn't just exude the Taylor look?

Well, if the author of the IMDB trivia item had worded it like you did above, I'd be much more inclined to agree. Miss Connelly and Miss Taylor are both beautiful brunet's with blue eyes and a sultry air.

It's true that they both "exude" a look of glamours feminine beauty.

But this is what the IMDB member said.

IMDB wrote:
While Jenny's character may be based on Bettie Page, she had an uncanny resemblance to Elizabeth Taylor, circa 1946.

Jennifer doesn't look a bit like Bettie Page, but she really doesn't have "an uncanny resemblance" to Miss Taylor.

Here's two glamour shots of Elizabeth in the 1940s.

And here she is in 1958, aging rather well, I think. Cool

In my horny opinion — (Oops! I meant humble!) — I think Miss Taylor has both Jennifer and Bettie beat when it comes to being drop-dead gorgeous and hotter than the seat of the Rocketeer's pants! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: