ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Earth 2 (1994-1995)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Thanks Bud, these are terrific pictures of the medical diagnostic glove, the communication devices, as well as the lovely doctor.

Like I said, I never got into the series even though I did watch the entire season. Fine cast, but the stories just didn't seemed to gel together in to anything substantial for me.

Liked Jessica's other sci-fi TV series, Captain Power & the Soldiers of the Future better than EII.

Randy Everett was completely devoted to Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Futurre (as am I and my kids when they were growing up in the 1980s), and Randy even sold excellent DVD-Rs of the series long before the commercials ones came out.

I own a set he sent me, along with the commercial set as well, just to see if Randy was right when he told me his sets looked better than the "store bought" ones.

He was right. Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The impressive location scenery for this series was due to shooting it in New Mexico.

Can't think of too many TV shows filmed in N.M. The intriguing western Lazarus Man starring Robert Urich was shot there taking advantage to the western town replica that was originally constructed for the entertaining western movie Silverado.

Had Lazarus Man been renewed for a second season the production company was planning to relocate to Canada.

Various other film & TV productions would also utilize the exterior set until its destruction for the horrendous Wild, Wild movie with Wil Smith & Kevin Kline. Kline had starred in Silverado.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
The impressive location scenery for this series was due to shooting it in New Mexico.

Can't think of too many TV shows filmed in N.M. The intriguing western Lazarus Man starring Robert Urich was shot there taking advantage to the western town replica that was originally constructed for the entertaining western movie Silverado.

Various other film & TV productions would also utilize the exterior set until its destruction for the horrendous Wild, Wild movie with Wil Smith & Kevin Kline. Kline had starred in Silverado.

I didn't actually hate the Will Smith version of The Wild, Wild West, even though I was very aware of how it betrayed the legacy of the great series and made serious mistakes as a movie.

But it's sad to hear that the Western town constructed for Silverado (a fine movie with a stellar cast) was destroyed during the making of The Wild, Wild West.
Sad
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a site called Studio Baclkots & Locations that I've enjoyed which covers the topic of studio backlot "streets" that have replicas of western towns, suburban streets, NYC streets and so forth.

It also discusses the awesome sets constructed for movies that weren't located on the studio backlots.

Some of the ones that stun me with their enormous size and attention to detail are: The Roman Forum from The Fall of the Roman Empire, the Forum again in Cleopatra (this was an entirely different set but equally impressive, Alexandria, also from Cleopatra, Peking, China from 55 Days at Peking, and Stalingrad during WW II, Shang Ri-La from Lost Horizon.

These gigantic sets took plenty of $$$ & months to build.

Tragically, such sets are generally torn down after filming for various reasons.

Director Billy Wilder had a logical response when one reporter asked why he was immediately tearing down the incredible sets for the Ben Hur film. Wilder didn't want to see a bunch of "B" grade movies move in and utilize his BH expensive sets for their cheaper films.

I get that. But it always seemed to me to be a real shame that other quality film & television productions could not take advantage of such amazing looking sets for their projects.

Imagine if episodes for The Time Tunnel could have availed itself of these historic sets? Of course that would mean that TTT had top notch scripting, which it, and most Irwin Allen productions, did not.

Still, you can get my meaning that it is sad to have these epic sets built for one film and then disappear forever never to be seen again.

I know that maintaining 'em, taxes on the vast property that these sets occupy, weather damage, and other variables make it a challenging issue to let these astounding replications stand forever.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
I know that maintaining 'em, taxes on the vast property that these sets occupy, weather damage, and other variables make it a challenging issue to let these astounding replications stand forever.

There's also the fact that sets built for a specific production (as opposed to "standing sets") are considered temporary and often constructed as cheaply as possible. Those mighty fortresses and castles and Roman temples may look like stone and marble, but they're really made of two-by-fours, chicken wire and plaster of Paris.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Imagine if episodes for The Time Tunnel could have availed itself of these historic sets? Of course that would mean that TTT had top notch scripting, which it, and most Irwin Allen productions, did not.

Still, you can get my meaning that it is sad to have these epic sets built for one film and then disappear forever never to be seen again

Pow, you gave me a ka-razy idea! Very Happy

Imagine a variation on The Time Tunnel, but instead of traveling into the past, the two-or-more main characters are transported to scenes in movies!

However, instead of them being on a "movie set", they're in a "real" location, the way it looks to the audience — and all the people act completely in character — because they're not the actors, they're the fiction characters from the movie!

Furthermore, the TTT characters are also in costume, and the other people know them as people who are part of the story, although they don't replace people from cast, they're just "new" secondary characters. Like "extras" with very little interaction with major plot developments.

The mission of the TTT characters is to observe the people and events in the story . . . WITHOUT causing any major changes in the plot because if they do, it will permanently change the movie itself in the real world!

You know, like the time travel story concept about how changing the timeline will permanently alter the future.

I know, I know . . . it's a wacky, half-baked idea, but I just came up with and I wanted to share it you guys.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating idea. One episode could have our time travelers become the leads of a film and everyone in the film only reacts to those characters.

The travelers then have to try to duplicate the performance and dialogue as closely as they can from their own memory of the movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: