ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) Reply with quote

I saw the trailer for this one recently when I went to see The Last Jedi, and it was mighty impressive!

Admittedly, having this "Lost World" destroyed by a volcano is not very original — but it's sure as hell traditional!

By my count there are no less than three "lost world" movies that end with an earthquake/volcano blowing the whole place to smithereens.

The Lost World (1925)

Lost Continent (1951)

The Lost World (1960)

And now we get a new and improved "lost world" which will explode into CGIed smithereens that will have us sitting on the edge of our seats!

Except that we can't really sit on the edge of our seats these days, because theater seats look like this now. You can't sit on the edge without being precariously perched on the foot rest, three feet out in front of everybody else in your row! :shook:

But when I go to see this movie in June, I'll be a lot more comfortable than I was back in the old days, when theater seats had edges we could sit on, and smithereens looked a lot less realistic. Cool

One thing about the trailer puzzles me. It seems to show the beginning, the middle, and the final climax of the movie. And it does it in a very "spoiler-like" way.

I'm wondering if what we see is actually just the "Skull Island" segment of the story, and second half is "New York" part. Perhaps that scene with Jeff Goldblum speaking to the committee is after the island blows up . . . and a whole bunch of rescued dinosaurs are brought back . . . but then they escape.

_______ Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - trailer

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom again — a pretty good movie, all things considered.

Yes, I know . . . I ranted and railed against Jurassic World for the wacky things it did that spoiled my first viewing of it. But there's enough good things about that movie to make it fun to watch after the flaws have been examined and accepted for the bad decisions they were.

The same is true for Jurassic Park II, which is a mixed bag of great moments (Jeff Goldbum's daughter kicks a velociraptor through a window) and truly awful moments (two T-Rex rip a brave little man in half just as he's about to save the heroes . . . which sucked so badly I barely got through the rest of the film. Sad )

Making one's peace with the crappy parts of an otherwise good movie is like picking the rotten grapes out of a bunch so you can eat all the nice juicy green ones. Very Happy

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom doesn't really have any "rotten grape" moments, and frankly I didn't even realize just how green and juicy this bunch was until I saw it again recently.

The first movie was pretty much like the picture below — all juicy and green. For the record, John Williams' music provided some very intense sweetness to that cinematic bunch of grapes.

With grapes this good, turning it into wine would be like putting lipstick on a pig and trying to turn it into a lady. It would just be a waste of good bacon! Shocked

One of the “green grape” moments in Fallen Kingdom is when Chris Pratt is watching his videos of the young raptors being trained, and he sees Blue take charge of the others to stop them from squabbling during feeding time. Then, just to test Blue's intelligence and basic nature, Chris assumes a posture of "weakness" to see if Blue will attack him in the typical velociraptor manner . . . and Blue reacts in a surprising way.

That scene convinced me that Blue was indeed "smarter than the average bear", as Yogi would say. Wink

By the time I reached the 30 minute mark in this movie during my recent second viewing, it had me thinking long and hard about the evolution (so to speak) of the whole franchise and the way this newest release was dealing with the overall history, the established characters, and the “green grape” moments which carried the whole thing from the beginning right up to this fifth film.

The cast of this movie (and the last one, too) is excellent. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard have enough personal chemistry to rival Tracy and Hepburn.

The rest of the supporting cast earned their studio paychecks as well, with a generous tip thrown in.

Every Jurassic Park park movie must have at least one kid, and this one has an angelic little girl named Isabella Sermon, who charms the audience and screams a lot like Faye Wray — for pretty much the same reasons!

In the DVD special features, her comments during interviews demonstrated that her lovely English accent was "toned down" a bit in the movie, because she's supposed to be American. Hearing her speak in real life is almost musical! Very Happy

The special effects pioneered by Jurassic Park in 1993 have reached the point where an entire shot can be CGI (not just the dinosaurs) and nobody would even know it. Hollywood has mastered control of a cinematic “Krell machine” which can wish anything into existence.

Cool, huh? Cool

The bonus features on the DVD are extremely interesting, and I gained an appreciation for how dedicated the crew was to giving us a new JP movie that lived up to the better ones in the franchise — and by gum, I think they succeeded.

Apparently the next installment is scheduled leap out at us in 2021. Entertainment Weekly had the article on the web last February!

I like what the producers have in mind for the third Jurassic World movie, and despite my original negative feelings for the first one, the second one is very enjoyable.

I think the third might be pretty good, too.

Well anyway, here’s hopin’, . Confused

Jurassic World 3 rampaging toward 2021 release date

At least a few people are bound to survive the explosive events of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. The untitled Jurassic World 3, the third installment of the Jurassic World story line with Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard, has officially landed a release date of June 11, 2021.

Colin Trevorrow directed Jurassic World and returned as a producer on Fallen Kingdom, which features J.A. Bayona at the helm. Since the beginning, Trevorrow said he envisioned the post-Jurassic Park films as a trilogy. He’ll return for the next film as an executive producer and a co-screenwriter with Emily Carmichael (Pacific Rim: Uprising). Frank Marshall and Pat Crowley will also produce with Steven Spielberg.

“I remember telling Steven even while we were making the first movie, ‘This is the beginning. Here is the middle. And here’s the end of the end. This is where we want to go,'” Trevorrow said in a 2017 interview. “I feel like that kind of design is crucial to a franchise like this if you really want to bring people along with you and make sure they stay interested.”

Pratt returns as raptor expert Owen Grady alongside Howard’s former park-runner Claire Dearing in Fallen Kingdom, which Trevorrow said will help set the stage for the third chapter.

“At the end of this movie, it’s not a cliffhanger, but it’s designed for people to want to know what’s going to happen next, whereas the earlier Jurassic Park movies had pretty clear definitive endings,” he explained. “They were much more episodic. In working with Derek Connolly, my co-writer, we were also thinking about where it was gonna go in the future.”

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review Bud!

I've had this movie for months and just haven't found the time to watch it....But now I'll have to!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to join you in the chat room when you do! Very Happy

The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Cover Version 2 Reply with quote

It was 1993 when Jurassic Park was unleashed upon the film loving public, spawning a blockbuster franchise and pop culture thunders in the process. Sadly we now find ourselves suffering cover versions of what was once a great and thought provoking premise with high octane thrills into the bargain.

I guess once they started personalising the Velociraptors, making one of them a friend of man, it was the beginning of the end. But we accepted it - sort of - jumping into 2015's Jurassic World with carefree abandon. More dino carnage we wanted, a bright cast fronted by the ever likable Chris Pratt and Bryce Howard drew us in, but it was merely ok, a franchise entry that was just a quick fix but nothing more. But of course box office talks and the franchise lumbers on to Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom...

Plot returns to Isla Nublar which along with all the dinosaur inhabitants is about to be vanished from the planet by the mother of all volcanoes. Cue mankind jostling over whether to save a species that was once extinct whilst others have nefarious motives for financial gain.

Off we go then, stock characters that are over familiar are performed by different actors but go through motions we have witnessed before, whilst the writing strains for a sort of human empathy factor that never hits the mark. There is nothing remotely fresh (well Howard has at least changed her footwear to something more credible) or exciting on offer here, it's a tired cash cow that's in dire need of extinction itself.

Naturally another instalment will come along, and naturally it will make money, with myself and the other millions of Jurassic zombies filing in to view what we hope will be a return to the heady days back in 1993. But it's most likely a forlorn hope, so maybe, just maybe, it should be enough now, enough? 5/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: