ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leonard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Leonard Reply with quote

Just read Bill Shatner's wonderful book ''Leonard", that details his friendship with Leonard Nimoy over the decades.

Learned different things not only about their friendship but about both men individually relating to their upbringing, families, career struggles, & so forth.

I was saddened to learn that shortly before his death from COPD that Leonard cut off all contact with Shatner. Shatner wrote & called Nimoy to find out what happened & if he could make any amends to Nimoy.

Leonard never returned any of his (Bill) phone calls or responded to any of his letters.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother suffered and died from COPD the last year of her life in 2008, and this remarkably intelligent and caring women gradually descended into a mental state which caused her to act completely incoherent.

She did things which dumbfounded me and my sister after knowing this great lady all our lives. It was a sad decline from being one of the smartest people we had ever known into someone whose behavior resembled an intoxicated person who suffered from paranoid delusions.

Leonard Nimoy's behavior in the last months of his life sounds exactly like what my dear mother experienced. I have tremendous sympathy for anyone who suffers from this tragic ailment.

~ The Space Children (1958)
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unaware that COPD could have such an affect upon a person's mental state, Bud. Thank you for informing me.

I am so sorry that you & your sister had to see such a decline with your mom. It is true that when a loved one suffers from a disease, their family & friends also suffer in a different manner.

That is a lovely photo of your mom, she looks like she was a wonderful person.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
I was unaware that COPD could have such an affect upon a person's mental state, Bud, thank you for informing me.

When my mother first found out that she had COPD, she told me that it literally suffocates a person to death. And, of curse, oxygen deprivation kills brain cells, reducing the person's mental capacity.

This wonderful lady took me to Atlanta theaters when I was young to see This Island Earth, Forbidden Planet, and The Time Machine.

While composing my post for The Time Machine thread a few years back, I realized that my mother bore a strong resemblance to Mrs. Mrs. Watchett, the house keeper! Very Happy

On Saturday, August 16th 2008, she told me to come for dinner and celebrate my 60th birthday with her. At that point, she'd had COPD for about eight months, and her mental abilities were sadly reduced.

And yet she somehow managed to act completely normal that evening while she hurried around the kitchen and cooked a steak dinner with baked potato and corn-on-the-cob for us!

She wouldn't let me help at all — and she didn't appear to need it. I sat at the kitchen counter and watched her conquer her condition completely for that one evening while she made the meal and we ate together. It was amazing.

The next day she was very lethargic and barely incoherent. The day after that she fell into a comma and which lasted five days while she laid in a hospital bed which my sister and I arranged to have brought in and placed in my mother's bedroom. We took turns staying with her . . . until Thursday afternoon when she stopped breathing.

I have no idea how she managed to summon the will and determination to make that Birthday dinner, just five days before COPD took her life, but it was the greatest gift she could have given me.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud.

The will to overcome physical and mental obstacles to provide for our loved ones can be very strong.

Your mom was indeed an extraordinary woman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: