ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bud's famous Crispy Potato Salad recipe for Thanksgiving!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Bud's famous Crispy Potato Salad recipe for Thanksgiving! Reply with quote

Each year I make my famous Crispy Potato Salad for Thanksgiving dinner with my family. Here's the secret recipe that will have your family demanding that you invite me to your house next year! Very Happy

You should be aware that the Mission Statement of this delectable dinning delight is simply this:

It's potato SALAD, right? So, who died and left the damn potatoes in charge? Shocked

That's right, folks, this is food with an attitude and a purpose — a chip on it's shoulder and spoiling for a fight!

With that stirring call to arms ringing in our ears, let's rethink traditional potato salad and figure out ways to make it the star of the Thanksgiving feast! With enough culinary showmanship, I think we can steal the spotlight from Mr. Tom Turkey and put the name Crispy Potato Salad at the top of the marquee!

The secret to any gourmet creation is to involve all the senses. So, my Crispy Potato Salad can't just taste good. No sir, it's got to dazzle the eyes, tickle the tongue — and yes, it even makes funny little noises when eaten, so that your dinner guests will blush and giggle and apologize for being such voracious pigs while they gobble it down.

And just how do we accomplish this seemingly impossible feat?

Simple. Fresh veggies. And lots of 'em, too. So many vegetables that the poor potatoes start feeling like nerdy kids from the Chess Club at a varsity football game. We're gonna outnumber the potatoes, surround them, and demand their surrender!

Like I said before, it's a potato SALAD, dammit! It should, by God, act like a salad — and not like a bowl of mashed potatoes that somebody forgot to mash! Rolling Eyes

So, it's time to assemble the troops and prepare for battle, as pictured below for this combat training exercise.

The mug of beer is optional.

(On second thought, no it isn't.)

Here's the roster of battle-ready vegetables and other fresh ingredients we'll use in the assault.

Mayonaise — Buy a name brand. Do not use generic brands that probably aren't made in America. Support the Red, White, and Blue!

Mustard — It needs to be good 'n yellow, to give your potato salad a bright and sunny appearance. Mustard is the morale officer of this unit. I recommend French's, because they supported the Colonies in the Revolutionary War.

Hard Boiled Eggs — These are the sergeants of your gourmet army. They don't call 'em "hard boiled" for nothin'. And trust me, you can't have too many. If there's one food that takes no crap from potatoes, it's eggs!

Sweet Pickle Relish — Don't be fooled by the name. These boys have a real cocky attitude.

Bell Pepper — Do not skimp on these. They come in three colors — green, red, and yellow. Buy several of all three. They're the primary colors of your cooking pallet (metaphorically speaking), and you want your dinner guests to oow-and-ah with delight when they see the rainbow you've created on Thanksgiving Day.

Onions — The roughnecks of the squad. The Rambo of vegetables. Get the Vidalia brand if at all possible — the Marines of the onion world. Their motto is Semper Vidalis. Loosely translated it means, "Always Flavorful".

And finally —

Celery! Yep, you read it right. The wildcard, the maverick, the sucker punch your taste buds didn't see coming. Shocked

This modest vegetable is the ringer, the secret weapon, the sneak attack on your teeth that detonates like a grenade in your mouth!

There's a reason why Hollywood snaps celery to create the sound of broken bones. Shocked

These humble stalks will stand tall and be counted when your dinner guests' dentures attack, and those chompers will get a real surprise when they bite down and hear a loud CRUNCH explode across the tongue and rattle the uvula!

This is why I call my masterpiece Crispy Potato Salad! Cool

It doesn't just mush around in your mouth and slid down your throat, meek and mild like bleating sheep — no sir! It rips around from cheek to cheek like a raging lion, barking out those crackling noises which can't be denied by the startled people at the table who were hoping nobody noticed how much they were eating and how fast they were eating it!

Okay, so once your troops are in tight formation as shown below, it's time for them board the transport vehicle and ship out.

Use the following steps to deploy your fighting forces for maximum effect.

Step 1: Combine the boiled potatoe cubes and the mayonnaise until the right consistence is reached.

Step 2: Stir in the mustard until the color is not quite as bright as a canary. Then add a little more.

Step 3: Pile on your colorful veggies until the potatoes can barely be seen. Smother 'em with crisp, fresh vegetables while ignoring the potatoes screams for mercy. It you feel faint hearted and begin to loose your nerve, think of the Irish potato famine of 1845. Give no quarter to those heartless spuds!

Step 4: Pour on enough pickle relish to make the bowl look like a Coney Island hot dog, then stir it into the mix. If you can still see waaaay too much relish after you've mixed it all up . . . that means you did it right.

Step 5: Sprinkle the slices of boiled eggs across the top and then stir them in. (How much? Too much, of course!) We're not kiddin' around here, folks.

Step 6: Add the ammunition: just enough salt, a bit more pepper, too much onion powder, and a shocking amount of garlic powder — just in case some of your relatives are secretly vampires and you've always wanted to kill 'em off on a national holiday with lots of witnesses! Shocked

The final result should look like this.

If it doesn't, start over!

The fate of Thanksgiving depends on you, so don't let your family down! Remember to allow plenty of time to do all the work needed for this important task. It takes about twelve hours, so get started now and you'll be finished by first light tomorrow.

Now, if you'll forgive me, I must go to the grocery store and draft fresh recruits for the War on Hunger And so do you, my friends! Vaya con Dios . . .

Dismissed!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:07 am; edited 10 times in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUMMY!!!

I'm making this for Thanksgiving!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Eadie. I just finished making this year's batch, and it looks better than ever before. I used extra portions of all the ingredients — except potatoes!

This is Bud's Crispy Potato
Salad! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the one I finished two hours ago! Lordy me, it's gorgeous. Very Happy

I forgot about the hard boiled eggs slices until it was too late, but they don't really add much to the flavor anyway, so I think I'll drop them from the recipe'. The white chunks you see in the picture above of this year's batch are slices of onion.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my goodness. It's that time of the year again -- November 25th, the day before Thanksgiving, and I'm spending a fun-filled day creating my famous Crispy Potato Salad Extravaganza.

I should have bumped this thread to the top of Contact All Sci-Fi a few days ago in case anyone might be inspired to make this tasty masterpiece for their own Thanksgiving gathering.

Anyway, peruse the recipe above and marvel at the genius that made this sumptuous dish possible.

Happy Thanksgiving, folks . . . again!
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:26 am; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouth is watering...

Must go shopping...

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me six hours from the time I went shopping for the ingredients to the time I put the finished creation in the fridge to chill 'til tomorrow's Thanksgiving dinner. I was exhausted. I haven't stayed on my feet that long at one stretch since I retired from teaching.

But the effort produced something better than ever before.

This year I included almost twice as much of the vegetables, in spite of the fact that I used ten medium-sized baking potatoes in all.

It contains eleven — count 'em, eleven — hard boiled eggs and six bell peppers (two of all three colors). Red, green, and yellow.

Seven long stalks of celery and a sizable sweet onion. A whole jar of pickle relish. A whole jar of mayonnaise (medium-sized). Three fourths of a large squeeze-jar of mustard.

The seasonings included salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

And here's the finished product.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:13 am; edited 5 times in total
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds (and looks) great. I'm saving this page to my big "Food" folder. With all those fresh veggies it's practically a nutritious meal in itself. I'm not a big fan of boiled eggs, but I bet I could mix in a scrambled egg or two.

As for bell pepper substitutes, consider something like cucumber, raw broccoli or zucchini. Of course, you could go the more fruity route and use apple or pear,but you might need Bud's permission to vary the recipe that much.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent several hours this afternoon preparing the ingredients for my famous Crispy Potato Salad. All I did today was prepare the bell peppers (red, yellow, and green), the celery, the onions, and the boiled eggs.

I'll do the potatoes tomorrow, and combine the above ingredients with the pickle relish, mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

The reason I'm doing it tomorrow and not today is that my sister told me yesterday that she and her husband are helping out at a homeless shelter tomorrow — instead of cooking for hours for our family members. She says she's getting a bit too old to do all the work needed to prepare Thanksgiving meals for all the relatives in our large family.

I'm having lunch with her and her husband on Friday — her delicious pot roast — and I'm taking my Crispy Potato Salad to share with her and a few relatives who will join us. I'm making the usual amount so we can send a big bowl of it to one of her needy neighbors who have suffered a loss in their family recently.

I''ll post a picture of the finished product tomorrow about this time! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord!

This looks awesome!
I'm gonna whip up a batch of this soon!

A couple of great secrets here!
I make my tuna salad with copious amounts of celery and onions as well. Chunk tuna and the best mayo ....bell peppers are also a plus! Serve it thickly spread on toasted thick slices of bread and sprinkle the top with lightly crushed potato chips.

Try that on a picnic lunch and serve your Crispy Potato Salad along with it!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here it is, folks! Crispy Potato Salad 2016!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Crispy Potato Salad for 2017 is chillin' in the refrigerator.

As usually, I followed my own recipe in the post above, and it guided me through the arduous process with perfect precision. Cool

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Very Happy

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, as usual!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING BUD!!!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for not bumping the thread with my world famous Crispy Potato Salad to the top of the forum a few days ago. Hopefully anyone who wanted to make it had no trouble finding the recipe.

Happy Thanksgiving from All Sci-Fi! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been six years since I've made my legendary Crispy Potato Salad for my extended family here in North Carolina, but I've promised my sister — All Sci-Fi member Robin the Robot — that this year I'll honor my commitment to Thanksgiving by contributing my sumptuous holiday delight to the our annual Thanksgiving feast!

If any of you guys have mothers, wives, or sisters who might want to jazz up the family holiday feast with something new and spectacular, tell them to follow the detailed (and highly amusing) directions at the top of this thread.

I promise you that your family will be dazzled by my spectacular culinary invention!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: