ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sky High (2005)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Sky High (2005) Reply with quote

I didn't care for this movie very much at first, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it several times since then.

Kurt Russell is great as Commander. Kelly Preston is a wonderful superheroine/mother. Michael Angarano is just right as the shy kid that worries about girls, grades, and living up to his superhero dad's image.

And I love Linda Carter's last line in the film. Hysterical.

This is a fun movie.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this film. Fun story, wonderful cast, nicely done fx.

It had a good time with the superhero genre without denigrating it or mocking it in a mean spirited way.

Disney was planning on turning it into a weekly series at one point & some of the cast members from the film would reprise their roles.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
It had a good time with the superhero genre without denigrating it or mocking it in a mean spirited way.

Disney was planning on turning it into a weekly series at one point & some of the cast members from the film would reprise their roles.

Yes! I agree completely with your positive assessment of the movie. I would have preferred a sequel to a series, just to keep the quality high. But these days they spend a ton of money on TV series, so maybe it would have work out well.

Sidebar Comment: I wonder how much a "ton or money" would be worth in each denomination: all ones, all fives, all tens, etc. I'll bet if I Goggled the question . . . hmmmm . . .
Wink

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Krel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite line is where two school officials are watching the Save-the-Citizen exercise, and one says to the other: "Remember when we used to use real citizens?"

Now the sad part. Earlier this year, the movie's writer Paul Hernandez died. He had some health problems and was on a transplant list, but they never found a donor.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news indeed. Thanks for sharing that with us, David.

Following up on my previous frivolous question, I found the answer.

A ton of dollar bills would be worth $908,000.

A ton of five dollar bills would worth $4,540,000.

A ton of ten dollar bills would worth $9,080,000.

A ton of twenty dollar bills would worth $18,160,000.

Since gold is currently $1,185.60 an ounce and there are 32,000 ounces in a ton, a ton of gold would be worth $37,920,000.

The first Marvel comic that introduced Spider-Man was Amazing Tales #15, which sold at Heritage Auctions in Dallas on Feb. 18, 2016 for $454,100.

The average comic book weighs 1.5 ounces. A ton of comic books would contain 21,333 individual comics.

Therefore, a ton of Amazing Tales #15 would be worth $9,687,466,667.

9 billion, 687 million, 466 thousand, 667 dollars.

I bought a near-mint condition copy of Amazing Tales #15 from a friend in 1966 (in a stack of comics) for about $10. I sold it and a bunch of other comics at Comicon in Atlanta in 1977 — for $800.

Damn

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:59 pm; edited 8 times in total
Doctor Kaiju
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! You made me feel better though, thanks.

(sold old TMNTs, etc.)

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:

I think this might have been a very good idea! I wish the plans had worked out.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lovely Danielle Panabaker has been a co-star on The Flash TV series from episode one as Dr.Kaitlynn Frost.

Her character has developed freezing powers on that series & is a villain.

Trivia: Danielle's sister, Kay, portrayed a super powered teen on the entertaining super hero TV series No Ordinary Family. Unfortunately it only lasted a season.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great movie!

Great trailer!

Great Caesar's Ghost, I think I'll watch this one again pretty soon! Laughing

___________ Sky High (2005) Official Trailer #1

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another movie in the same vein was ZOOM. I'll comment on it here because it doesn't deserve its' own thread...

Zoom (also known as Zoom: Academy for Superheroes) is a 2006 American family superhero adventure comedy film produced by Columbia Pictures and Revolution Studios and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing. based upon the children's book Amazing Adventures from Zoom's Academy by Jason Lethcoe, the film stars Tim Allen, Courteney Cox, Chevy Chase, Ryan Newman, Kate Mara, Spencer Breslin, Michael Cassidy, Kevin Zegers, and Rip Torn.

It was written by Adam Rifkin and David Berenbaum. It was theatrically released on August 11, 2006 by Columbia Pictures.

The film was severely panned by critics and was a box office bomb, earning $12.5 million on a $75 million budget.

The plot...what it is....

Decades prior to the start of the film, the Zenith team are five young superheroes who fought to protect the world from evil, led by Jack Shepard ("Captain Zoom") and his older brother Connor Shepard ("Concussion").

The American military sought to enhance the team's powers using an experimental form of radiation called "Gamma-13". This made Zoom faster and stronger, but the gamma turned Concussion to the dark side.
Thinking Zoom and the team betrayed him, Concussion killed his teammates Marksman, Ace, and Daravia. Concussion was believed to have been destroyed by Zoom at the cost of his powers, but was sent into another dimension instead.

Thirty years later, Dr. Ed Grant, the scientist behind the original Zenith Project, discovers that Concussion is making his way back into their dimension.

General Larraby, the military officer in charge of the Project, decides to form a new Zenith Team to fight him. Jack finds himself dragged back into the Project, this time as an instructor.

He is given the choice of a lengthy prison sentence should he refuse or a payment of $500,000 for training the team, and reluctantly agrees to help.

In their secret base, Area 52 (a reference to Area 51), he meets Marsha Holloway, who is a beautiful but clumsy psychologist, a big fan of Zoom's, and knows of him only through the comic book adaptations of the team's adventures.

The project holds an audition of would-be members, and four are selected:

Dylan West, a seventeen-year-old boy possessing invisibility,

Summer Jones, a sixteen-year-old girl with telekinetic powers and empathic senses,

Tucker Williams, a twelve-year-old boy who can enlarge and inflate himself at will

and

Cindy Collins, a six-year-old girl with super strength.

At first, things do not go well with Jack being bitter about the past and his sarcastic attitude disappoints Marsha.

Dylan keeps trying to escape, Tucker has self-esteem problems and trouble controlling his powers, and the kids are annoyed by Jack's attitude.

The team eventually forces Jack to face the fact that he's not really putting his heart into their training. Slowly things begin to come together as the new team's abilities improve, they adopt superhero identities.

Eventually, just as Concussion is about to arrive on Earth, it is discovered that Dylan also possesses a kind of clairsentience, also known as mindsight, a rare power that allows him to discover Concussion's location and the project's true purpose.

The team is meant merely as a distraction from the military's plans to capture Concussion in a special net that will cause his concussive blasts to reflect on himself, neutralizing him.

Marsha also reveals that she secretly possesses a form of rainbow-colored super breath, which she uses to aid the team in their escape when the military is about to transfer them to the Gamma-13 chamber.

Using the malfunctioning flying saucer stored in the base, which they repair on the way, Jack escapes with the team, including Marsha. He is dropped off at a point in a desert where Concussion will arrive, planning to try to talk to him. Jack tells the team to avoid the confrontation, but they refuse.

When Concussion arrives, Larraby orders the net to be fired, but Concussion blasts it away and it almost lands on Cindy. This causes Jack to regain his powers and he saves her.

Working together, the team (plus Marsha) guide Concussion into a vortex that Zoom creates by running around in a circle at super-speed in the opposite direction as before. Dr. Grant yells to Zoom that if he closes the vortex, they can save Concussion.

The vortex ultimately removes the Gamma-13 from Connor and restores his powers to normal, thus turning him good again. Zoom and Concussion are reunited.

Three months later, Cindy is in a school play of Rapunzel, using her strength to pull the "prince" up the tower. Tucker is the goalie on the soccer team, and Dylan is dating Summer, who is on the cheerleading team, using her telekinetic power to help build an upside-down pyramid. In addition, they still work together with Zoom as the new Zenith Team.

On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 3% based on 67 reviews and an average rating of 3.02/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Lacking the punch and good cheer of The Incredibles and Sky High, Zoom is a dull and laugh-free affair."

On Metacritic, the film has a score of 26 out of 100 based on 14 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "B−" on an A+ to F scale.

Zoom will not only be remembered with such dogs as Ishtar, Howard the Duck and Gigli, but also as one of the most blatantly thieving movies of all time.

The only way to stay awake while watching Zoom is to count how many scenes, characters and story ideas are stolen from other movies. From X-Men and Sky High to Spy Kids and Fantastic 4, on and on, this movie steals from everyone. And none of it works!

The most interesting anomaly is that finally there's a movie with Chevy Chase where the material is worse than he is. (Sorry Chevy, but six or seven movies not withstanding, your career consists of mostly dogs.)

But the problem with Zoom is not the actors, it's the script. At least Howard the Duck and Ishtar, garbage that they were, were fairly original. Zoom is recycled, regurgitated crap from uninspired filmmakers, and it's just another nail in the coffin that was once Hollywood.

From the boom mic in the shots, to the five minute fight scene at the end, to the terrible acting by the team as a whole, to the total lack of understanding behind the conflict with Chevy Chase and Rip Torn and the team, to Tim Allen's lack of understood emotion, to Courtney Cox's most painful character to date - ---the movie was just plain awful.

ZOOM is now available on NETFLIX....Try it at your peril!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for saying this, but I got the DVD of Zoom from Netflix and endured about 30 minutes of it without experiencing a single laugh or the slightest respect for the concept. Sad

It just didn't impress me in the least. I sent it back without watching the rest.

But as we all known, people have different tastes, so I guess my lack of enthusiasm was just a personal thing. Confused

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
From the boom mic in the shots, to the five minute fight scene at the end, to the terrible acting by the team as a whole, to the total lack of understanding behind the conflict with Chevy Chase and Rip Torn and the team, to Tim Allen's lack of understood emotion, to Courtney Cox's most painful character to date — -the movie was just plain awful.

As you can see by my comment I just LOVED the movie!

Bud, I don't think you read my review!
Wink
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, you got me. I didn't read all of it. I was too quick to assume that your elaborate post meant you liked it, so I got it from Netflix and tried to watch it.

I didn't realize that you just pasted the article from the link below —

Fandom

— and hadn't written it yourself. If I'd known that, I wouldn't have thought you'd gone to all that trouble to compose your own review.

Next time, please let us know where the article you've posted came from by placing the link at the top of the post. Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From IMDB.

The exterior shots for the superhero high school were Oviatt Library, California State University at Northridge.

Director Mike Mitchell tried to have the theme of the movie as follows: All the adults were insane and all the females were smarter.

Mitchell kept the actors separated as much as possible. Towards this end he made sure they all had their own trailers. It was his hope to prevent any real life romances between cast members since that can create on set problems.

Didn't work. Michael Angarano (Will Stronghold) & Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Gwen Grayson) dated. Danielle Panabaker (Layla Williams) & Steven Strait (Warren Peace) also dated.

Kurt Russell's super suit had a cooling system built into it so it would not become too hot. Kelly Preston's suit was too tight on her to allow her to have such a system.

The character of Speed was originally intended for an exceptionally athletic actor. However, Will Harris was so likable at his audition that the casting director hired him even though he was heavyset.

Gwen Grayson's name is a combination of Gwen Stacy, Marvel Comics Spider-Girl, and Dick Grayson who is D.C. Comics Robin.

Cloris Leachman who plays the school nurse, and Lynda Carter who plays Principal Powers, co-starred earlier on Carter's Wonder Woman TV series. Leachman played Queen Hippolyte, Diana Prince's/Wonder Woman's mother.

Kurt Russel starred in the 1982 John Carpenter horror-science fiction film The Thing. Mary Elizabeth Winstead would star in the 2011 prequel of The Thing.

Lyla Williams has a lot in common with the Batman villain Poison Ivy. Both have power over plant life, both have red hair, and both like to wear the color green. The difference
being that Poison Ivy is evil and Lyla is a superhero.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Mitchell kept the actors separated as much as possible. Towards this end he made sure they all had their own trailers. It was his hope to prevent any real life romances between cast members since that can create on set problems.

Didn't work. Michael Angarano (Will Stronghold) & Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Gwen Grayson) dated. Danielle Panabaker (Layla Williams) & Steven Strait (Warren Peace) also dated.

Hmmm . . . Confused

Maybe he should have put the actors together in groups who had to share large trailers. That way they'd get on each other's nerves and NOT develope romantic relationships!
Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: