ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dimension 404

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Dimension 404 Reply with quote

Dimension 404 is an American science fiction black comedy drama anthology series created by Dez Dolly and Will Campos, and co-created by Dan Johnson and David Welch. It began airing on April 4, 2017 on the streaming service Hulu.

The series is produced by RocketJump and Lionsgate Television, with each episode being its own self-contained television film. The series is heavily inspired by The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. Its name is taken from the 1950's radio program Dimension X with 404 added on the end to signify its content is based on the internet generation. The number 404 is a reference to the HTTP status code signifying an error due to a webpage not being found.

This first season has 6 episodes so far and they are all worth watching!

Narrated by Mark Hamill and features Patton Oswald.

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

April 4th was the ideal date for it to debut on. I thought Patton Oswalt looked familiar from that screenshot - he has made multiple appearances in Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. (Followers of the show will know what I mean by "multiple appearances," heheh...)

A review on imdb isn't very positive:

Quote:
I was excited to hear that Hulu was creating a show that was being compared to the Twilight Zone and Black Mirror. Hulu's original programming has been hit or miss but I had hope! Then I heard Mark Hammill was narrating: Bonus Points! But in the same moment I saw that it was being created by Rocketjump. Points lost. I haven't enjoyed anything they produced.

Still, I was determined to give it a shot.

From the first scene I could tell it was not what it had been compared to. The lighting immediately gave it the feel of a sit-com of sorts, the soundtrack seems outright silly for the genre they were attempting to be a part of.

The acting left much to be desired, the writing seemed even worse. It's as if they had ideas for 10-15 minute shows and stretched it out into 45. No, I was not impressed but I felt like it would be unfair to judge it without watching the first 3 episodes.

Cut to 2 1/2 hours later and you have a disappointed person wishing for that part of their life back.

The Twilight Zone and Black Mirror are thought provoking, edgy, interesting... Dimension 404 is cheesy, uninteresting and generally boring.

Still, maybe it's worth making one's own mind up, if one can find the show!
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the darkest depths of cyberspace, there is another world. A lost dimension, home to wonders unseen, terrors unspeakable, and stories unlike any ever told. Dimension 404 is a science fiction anthology that explores the wonders — and terrors — of our digital age. From outrageous horror comedy to mind-bending action adventure, each episode tells a weird and wild sci-fi tale where the twist ending" is just the beginning. Do not click back. Do not reload. You have reconnected" to Dimension 404."

My only real complaint is from what I've seen so far (4 episodes) they are 1/2 hour stories streched out to an hour. Not as classy as The Twilight Zone, but I thought it was up to Outer Limits quality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: