ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R.I.P.Martin Landau

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: R.I.P.Martin Landau Reply with quote

Martin has died at the age of 89.

He portrayed master disguise artist Rolland Hand on Mission:Impossible(1966-'73).

Later on he played Commander Koenig on Gerry Anderson's sci-fi TV series Space:1999.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia isn't perfect, but it lists his Mission: Impossible character as Rollin Hand. He certainly starred in some memorable movies and TV shows. The above photograph is from Space: 1999, with Barbara Bain, of course.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan of Mission:Impossible & Marty was terrific in his role as Rollin Hand.

He was one of only 2 actors that was accepted by the famous NYC Actors Studio one year.The other being Steve McQueen.Marty also became a teacher there due to his passion & talent for acting.

As many know he turned down the role of Mr.Spock for Star Trek.He said that playing a character who restrains himself from showing emotion would have been hell for him.He said his good friend Leonard Nimoy was brilliant as the alien & not many good actors could have pulled off the role,but Lenny did.

So I am a fan & admirer of Marty Landau.

However,I never thought he could successfully be the lead of a movie or TV show.Space:1999 proved that to me.In fairness the scripts for the series were substandard.

But I feel that Marty worked best in an ensemble as he did on M:I,or as a supporting character.

Only a handful of actors can carry a film or TV series.The supporting actors can be wonderfully talented in their own right & shine from time to time.But that doesn't mean they can be the lead.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His performance as Bela Lugosi in ED WOOD was brilliant! His real strength was in character parts.
Seemed like a "good guy". Gonna miss him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: