ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rodan (1956 Japan)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Japanese Sci-Fi Cinema
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Rodan (1956 Japan) Reply with quote

___

The year 1957 (the American release date for this film) produced the largest number of science fiction movies in the entire decade (41 movies, compared to only 28 the year before), and Americans flocked to the theaters to see almost any sci-fi film that came out.

Japanese director Inoshiro Honda set out to top his hit monster movie "Godzilla", and in many ways he succeeded. "Rodan" not only features two giant monsters (the title prehistoric bird and its mate), it also features several scary scenes involving over-sized prehistoric bugs that attack terrified mine workers. When Rodan hatches from its egg inside the mine, it eats the bugs!

After growing to full size, Rodan topples bridges and destroys buildings just by flying over them and creating a devastating shock wave. (Not exactly scientifically accurate, but it looks impressive.)

Rodan lands smack in the middle of Tokyo and takes on the Japanese Army in a rip-roaring battle that thrilled monster-hungry audiences.

"Rodan" was a big hit, even bigger than "Godzilla" from the year before, although the monster itself didn't have the kind of public appeal that inspired the long chain of sequels which Godzilla has spawned.

"Rodan" is handsomely filmed in color, and it played in classy downtown theaters (no mall cinemas in those days). For several weeks there was no escaping the barrage of TV trailers that filled the airwaves. Kids loved the movie, and back in 1957 responsible parents didn't let their young kids go to downtown theaters alone — so absolutely everybody saw "Rodan".

Miscellaneous note: Consider these two facts:

(1) Japanese artwork indicates a culture that produces amazingly patient and detail-conscious people.

(2) Japanese cinema indicates a public that loves monster movies.

So, why haven't Japanese filmmakers ever produced a stop-motion animated monster movie?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:03 pm; edited 8 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nominate the Rodan trailer for the Most Enthusiastic Promotion Pitch of the 1950s Award. You'll recognize the voice of the narrator from a hundred other previews you've seen, and you'll marvel at the bodacious claims he makes about this famous Japanese monster.

And how 'bout those countless scenes of Rodan cruising slowly over cities and bridges, somehow causing a blast of air to crash down and destroy the structures.

A clear case of too much saki being consumed by the special effects guys.
Very Happy

~ The Space Children (1958)
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodan was on Svengoolie (or was it COMET TV?) a month ago or so, and I watched it for the first time in ~30 years. I thought it was a much better movie than Godzilla- better production, better miniatures and effects, better animation, and great color.

I liked it enough that I might even buy the DVD, and that would make it the only Japanese movie I own.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few fun IMDB facts about this famous Japanese sci-fi film.

In his autobiography, George Takei says that this was his first professional acting job, and all dialogue voices were provided by himself, Keye Luke, "another man" (Paul Frees) and one woman.

Note from me: I feel confident that the next time I watch this movie I can identify the voices done by Keye Luke ("Excellent, Grasshopper . . . "), Paul Frees ("People of Earth! Attention!"), and George Takei ("Oooh myyy . . . ").

Toho floated the idea of making a sequel of sorts to this movie, but featuring giant insects. However, the idea died in the planning stages because American audiences were in the midst of a wave of giant insect movies (i.e., Them! (1954), Tarantula (1955), The Deadly Mantis (1957), The Black Scorpion (1957), The Spider (1958)).

Note from me: This was problem for the best. Our bug movies would have been much better than their bug movies, and we have stars like John Agar, Richard Denning, and Mara Corday (twice).

The cable supporting Rodan over Sasebo Bridge snapped, causing the stuntman in the suit to fall 25 feet into the water. The incident is left in the movie as the scene where Rodan dives into the water near the bridge and submerges. The cables were reattached for the scene where Rodan lifts off out of the water, but they almost broke again because the suit became waterlogged and doubled in weight.

— And also this item on the same subject —

While shooting the scene in which Rodan flies over the bridge in Saikai Village in Kyushu, the pulley from which Haruo Nakajima was suspended broke. He fell from a height of 25 feet, but the wings and the water, which was about one and a half feet deep, absorbed much of the impact.

Note from me: The next time I watch this movie I won't be thinking, "They just dropped the prop monster into the water for this special effects," I'll be thinking, "Oh Lord, that poor guy in the suit nearly drowned!" Shocked

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodan was on TCM less than a week ago, and I considered watching it, but I've seen it several times over the years, so I passed on it.

But I have some fond memories of it from my childhood. It was one of a several sci-fi movies my mother took me to see in downtown theaters in Atlanta in the 1950s. She was less impressed with this one than the other young people in the audience, and as we were leaving the theater, she overheard a few boys my age discussing it.

One of the boys asked an interesting question about the scene in which Rodan stood in the middle of Tokyo with his giant wings spread wide, while countless artillery shells soared passed it on all sides . . . but never seemed to hit the mark.

"I wonder why they couldn't hit Rodan in the city when they shot at it?" the boy asked his friend.

In a sarcastic tone my mother turned to the boys and said, "Because the obviously couldn't shoot straight." Rolling Eyes

Good old Mom. Here are the pictures of her and Doris Lloyd I posted in The Time Machine thread to show how much my mother resembled Mrs. Watchett in that movie — which Mom also took me to see!

Pretty cool, eh? Cool

__
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Japanese Sci-Fi Cinema All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: