ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Greatest American Hero (Fox reboot)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: The Greatest American Hero (Fox reboot) Reply with quote

Fox has ordered anew pilot for re-booting the series The Greatest American Hero (ABC 1981 - 1983).

http://tvline.com/2015/11/02/greatest-american-hero-reboot-fox/

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope the main character eventually grows accustomed to flying this time around. Watching him continually bumbling through the air got a bit tiresome last time.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial reaction to this is that it wasn't a great premise for a series the first time, and bad ideas don't turn into good ideas just because their a few decades older.

Of course, if they make the suit look more like a piece of hi-tech body armor, and play the whole thing less comically, it might work.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue May 23, 2017 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved the original TGAH show.

Hope they are able to recapture the terrific chemistry & charm of the original cast, which will be difficult to do.

Also hope that FOX remembers that there was plenty of humor & comedy in the original.

Some years ago they revived Kolchak: The Night Stalker as a series.

They turned it into a grim, dark,dramatic show ala The X-Files & totally left out the fun & humor of the original series.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My general impression of the hero character was that the look was totally derived from color selection (blond hair, red outfit) that would have maximum contrast with a bluescreen or chromakey backdrop (blond hair, red outfit).

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:

My apologies for rudely dismissing the show's merits just because I wasn't a fan.

I guess I just felt that it leaned too far towards the 1966 Batman series, and in doing so it deliberately ridiculed the whole superhero genre.

However, you're absolutely right to hope they'll retain the fun and the humor. I'm sure this could be done in a manner that didn't smack of "Batman", while not swinging too far the other way either.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue May 23, 2017 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Pow wrote:

My apologies for rudely dismissing the show's merits just because I wasn't a fan.

I guess I just felt that it leaned too far towards the 1966 Batman series, and in doing so it deliberately ridiculed the whole superhero genre.

However, you're absolutely right to hope they'll retain the fun and the humor. I'm sure this could be done in a manner that didn't smack of "Batman", while not swinging too far the other way either.

No apologies are required, Bud.

We all know that from time to time we fans will hold a differing opinion regarding the various aspects of sf.

I dislike a movie you love, you love a television series I do not. Visual/Special FX, props, costumes, cast member are all subject to polite disagreements.

Hey, how boring it would be if we did all like the same things or dislike the same things.

Robust debates can be fun. Even enlightening.

I often go on IMDB to see what other folks have to say regarding a particular film or tv show. Sometimes I agree, other times I do not. Sometimes they give me food for thought, background info, or trivia I was unaware of before.
MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen scenes from the original show, and I heard it crashed because they got too campy.

Personally, I'm with Bud. Just because a network thinks it's time to bring back a show doesn't mean it's gonna work. Besides, there's too many superhero (and derivatives) shows on anyway.

That being said, the only thing I liked about the show was the title song. I even have it on my playlist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: