ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Star Trek'-themed ransomware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: 'Star Trek'-themed ransomware Reply with quote

'Star Trek'-themed ransomware interferes with civilization bigtime
Steve Weisman, Special for USA TODAY

BDT: I hope this is incorrect.

Ransomware is a type of malware that once surreptitiously downloaded locks and encrypts your files. The cybercriminals behind the ransomware then threaten to destroy all of your data unless you pay a ransom, generally in the form of untraceable bitcoins. A new strain of ransomware uses a Star Trek theme. You first become aware that your computer has been infected when an image of Captain Kirk of the Starship Enterprise appears on your screen. He then tells you all of your data has been encrypted and demands the ransom. If you pay, the image of Mr. Spock appears and provides instructions on how to get your data back. Ransomware is commonly spread through phishing emails that appear legitimate

Ransomware is commonly spread through phishing emails that appear legitimate and lure recipients into clicking on links that they shouldn't. It is also spread through malvertising — legitimate-looking advertisements on genuine websites. Clicking on them downloads the ransomware.
Making matters worse, some legitimate websites have been infected with ransomware such that merely by going to the website you have infected your computer......

full story here: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/2017/04/11/star-trek-themed-ransomware-interferes-civilization-bigtime/100077300/
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does it! I'm selling my computer and buying a ham radio! And I'll put a CB in my car.

Anybody want to watch Smokey and the Bandit in the chat room? Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: