ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

REWATCHABLE TV Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First came SPACE PATROL with Ed Kemmer along with TOM CORBETT, SPACE CADET. A couple of years later came ROCKY JONES. The 50's laid the path for STAR TRK in the 60's. The 70's foundered a bit before the break of STAR WARS and the reserection of STAR TREK NG.

Today the genre has become as commonplace as westerns were a generation before. ROCKY JONES stands out I think as the real beginning of a SciFi series that appealed to adults as well as kids. I enjoy rewatching just about ALL of the series I loved as a youngster!
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most series, Voyager had its good episodes and its bad ones. I found it weird when one of the main characters got killed off, but their vessel had encountered an alternate-universe version of the Voyager, and, when it had a problem, we got the alternate version joining our crew as a replacement... was that ever mentioned again?

Jeri Ryan played a major character in season two of Bosch on Amazon recently, and seemed pretty well preserved. The benefits of being a cyborg, I suppose!

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
Jeri Ryan played a major character in season two of Bosch on Amazon recently, and seemed pretty well preserved. The benefits of being a cyborg, I suppose!

Gee, I don't know, Custer. Miss Ryan appears to be "all natural, no preservatives added!" Very Happy
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: REWATCHABLE TV Series Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
alltare wrote:
Oh -- and then there's Lost in Space. Don't own it, don't want it, and it will never get off the bottom of this list. It's the Gilligan's Island of science fiction.

------------------

Uh, what's the picture? I don't see anything.

alltare wrote:
... sitting on top of my monitor right now, there's a little 4" figure of B-9 the robot (when you press down on the top of his dome, he says "Warning! Warning!"), right next to a 4" Robby. So there -- I'm not a total loser.

My Robby and G.U.N.T.E.R. Model B-9 are on display with the other droids from Star Wars and from The Black Hole as they are all in the same scale (3.75 = 6 feet.)
Yanks
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
I feel just the opposite about VOYAGER. I don't like that series, mainly because Kate Mulgrew's character just rubs me the wrong way.

My top two Star Trek likes are TOS and TNG.

In my experience that is the deciding factor for many.

Kate is a unique actress and either you like her or you don't.

I don't suppose it was any different for 'Ryan's Hope'.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yanks wrote:
My favorites to rewatch.

All of Trek (of course). While I love them all and have watched them all many times, I think I find Voyager the most enjoyable rewatch.

Firefly (still upset it was cancelled)
Farscape
Stargate SG-1
nuBSG
Fringe
Stargate Atlantis
Andromeda
Earth: Final Conflct
The 4400

I own all these and really enjoy pulling them out and experiencing them again.

I own the X-Files but don't know if that's really considered SCI-FI.

This fine post is one of only 23 extremely well-written comments from All Sci-Fi member Yanks from back in April 2017.

The last one from Yanks was posted just a few weeks later in April 2017 . . . and we haven't heard from this member since! Shocked

Why do great members like this suddenly disappear? I don't get it . . . Sad

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent Gair wrote:
My beef with Star Trek has always been that it's so damn preachy.

Even when I was 10 years old, I would think, "Geez, people have been teaching me lessons all day long...I don't want to listen to more lessons at home".

I've always had little tolerance for shows that were so serious and self-important. Star Trek was (and is) annoyingly pretentious.

That depends on which Star Trek you're talking about. The original series got preachy in a small number of episodes, mainly in the second and third seasons. On the other hand, I always hated the self-righteousness and superior, more-evolved-than-thou attitude of the Trek TNG characters -- especially that pompous, bald-headed English dude. Or French, or whatever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: