ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry for the confusion. It was not the transparent dish that I was refiring to, but rater the device the dish was attached to. I don't ever remember seeing the dish in another production. in EVTFS it is in the foreground sitting on a table. I belive it is just before they discovered the spy device.

Found a photo of the scene:

Another reused prop is the small radar device that is carried to the table in the Klystron Relay scene. It is seen in the credits for "Science Fiction Theater". The reason for the strip on the dish is because it spins, and the strip highlights the spin.

David.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
In EVTFS it is in the foreground sitting on a table. I belive it is just before they discovered the spy device.

Found a photo of the scene:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/morbius19/12200435596/in/photostream/

If that's not the same prop, I'll eat both of 'em.

WayneO
-----------
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We never see the entire Krell lab in one shot. Here are all three sections. The extreme left section:

The main center section:

The extreme right section:

Now if we could only find a picture of the entire lab!

Last edited by Eadie on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you go hungry tonight, Wayne. It is the same prop -- heavily augmented in Forbidden Planet with bells and whistles and then more bells.

From Earth vs the Flying Saucers, compliments of Krel (wow, that site has a bunch of crystal clear pictures!) -- Very Happy

-- cropped by yours truly (the Krazed Kropper! Whaaa-hahahaha!) Shocked

-- and finally from Eadie, the Queen of EDCA Space! Wink

We're seeing opposite ends in the two pictures, but there's no denying that it's the same object. I don't know what it is, but if I find one on eBay I'm mortgaging the house to buy it!

It's got switches, knobs, lights, tubes, and a meter -- and that's before you slap a machine gun barrel, a plexiglass dish, and a tripod on it!

This cannot be a mere prop! It's a Krell discombobulator -- with batteries included!

It's beautiful . . . Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We talked about this a little on the old board. Butch said that it was originally a parabolic microphone that the O.S.S. used to spy on the Rooskies. I don't know if the light-up tubes and lights were added later.

But it would be great to know it's real name and the company that made it. And to see what it looked like originally.

David.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes my mind wanders off a movie when something in the movie catches my eye. (It took me a while to find a picture of what I'm about to ask.)

What is this curved thing:

Last edited by Eadie on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the seal for the core pedestal base. It is angled, because the top edge of the core pedestal base it angled.

David.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You.

Last edited by Eadie on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wait, Eadie! We missed something. What the heck is THIS thing?

Yet another piece of equipment I failed to notice in the last 60 years while watching this movie! Shocked

Okay, okay, so it's not all that futuristic looking, but I still want somebody to tell me what the blessed thing is.

I mean, this looks like something I could buy at Home Depot, put in my living room, and tell friends who come over, "Look! I got one of the props from Forbidden Planet at an MGM auction. See? In was in this scene right here!"

I think it's Robby's 2nd cousin, twice removed -- R-Two-Dee-Cubed.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:45 am; edited 4 times in total
Tom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a rack of stereo equipment.

My JVC has a similar style.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, great! Confused Just what I need, more stereo equipment! I was hoping it was an emergency generator or something I didn't already have and could use!

What a second. Post a picture of the component you mentioned. I'm a bit skeletal. I mean, skeptical.

(And yes, 800px wide will be fine. A PM is forthcoming with Breaking News on that story. Now back to you, Tom. Very Happy )

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back, on the Alphadrome site there was a discussion on the FP props used in "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.". There are a couple of good shots of the parabolic dish device, you can even see the three side tubes are lit.. Is there a better name for the device?

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/topic/11610-forbidden-uncle-props/

There is also some photos of the FP rifles as other devices, with the insides used out of the rifles.

David.
Tom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the components on the top? Big Knobs. I know its not what the item in the rack really is because the technology is old but thats what it looks like to me - Stereo Equipment - lol

On a completely different subject related to The Forbidden Planet...(I have not completely read this whole topic yet so forive me if this has already been discussed)

They are making a remake of this movie.

Forbidden Planet to be remade by Babylon 5 creator

Forbidden Planet Re-Do To Be a Trilogy?

James Cameron to Remake Forbidden Planet?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1317479/
Special attn to the IMdb Message board on this movie.

I don't know if it is true or a rumour but if true the graphics should be astounding and it will likely be in 3d.

There are other classics slated to be remade as well, including When Worlds Collide and The Creature From The Black Lagoon.

Anyone else heard about the FP remake?
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "remake" (J. Michael Straczynski made HUGE errors in the characters and continuity) is as dead as the proverbial doornail. Warner Bros' bean counters decided that his three scripts would have cost the studio about $600,000,000.00 to make with no guarantee that they would even 'break-even'. So it's in what's called 'development hell'.

I noticed in arts class, where we are watching several movies (a clip at a time!) that sets sure get battered about. In Forbidden Planet the side of the gangway sure gets it! First the far side of the ramp:

The side under discussion:

Cleanly painted (or whatever). Then I saw these next shots:

At first I thought it was a flaw in the film. But the pattern is consistent and does show up in other shots. Could the Id monster have used the side of the gangway ramp to sharpen it's claws; kind-of like a cat?

In arts class we look at clips from good science fiction (Forbidden Planet), fantasy (The Blue Bird [1940]), horror (Dracula [1931]), Westerns (How The West Was Won [1962]) comedy (The Great Race [19xx] and mysteries (Bourbon Street Shadows [1962]). When I saw this clip from Bourbon Street Shadows I broke-out laughing! It's Dr. Morbius parents!

MY explanation for this:

is that it is the power generator and controls to either the outside lights or the quad blasters.

Last edited by Eadie on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the info on the remake!

That pic of the rack of equipment was under discussion as to what it resembles not what it represents.

I still think it looks like a rack of stereo equipment.

Given the dating of when the movie was made it is more likely equipment borrowed from the sound editing studio for its advanced look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 6 of 143

Jump to: