ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Anyone else Reply with quote

Missing the demise of the comments page from IMDB?

I know I am.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I thought the big message board (I Need to Know, etc.) would be removed. I did not realize that the message boards for individual movies and actors would be removed also.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped posting on IMDB message boards back in 2007 when I created the first version of All Sci-Fi.

I just didn't like the way conversations simply faded away as new ones took their places. I wanted discussions to be permanent and easy to find.

So . . . I created this message board. Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we all are grateful to for creating this terrific forum, Bud. Very Happy
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

______________Ah, garsh! Twarn't nuthin!

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon May 28, 2018 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Message boards have been declining for years, and I've had to work harder and harder to encourage our members to keep contributing to All Sci-Fi.

What I hope everyone will consider is the simple fact that even short replies demonstrate to the other members that their posts are being read and enjoyed.

One member who is especially good at this is orzel-w, who has the second highest post count on All Sci-Fi — 1,378!

And yet the vast majority of his posts are short comments that help keep the discussions going. I've always appreciated the way he does that. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sens8
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only IMDb board I ever used was the "Contributors' 'Help' Board" - back when I still contributed. But the 'Help' part of the title was just a Colinism; it was really the major - and only - means for contributors (volunteers all, and several with pre-computer databases of info on older films and, occasionally, even published articles and other works to back up their expertise) to talk with each other, about data questions but also about site issues related to the data. Help for the site, the managers, even for Col, if he could've accepted it; but not just help for the contributors.

The other boards - well, the per-title boards probably worked for the latest releases, but the older stuff was catch-as-catch-can finding a current discussion, and withall there were just so many damned individual boards to have to follow, you could spend an entire lifetime just boarding @ IMDb and never getting to all of them in time to be "au courant". They had a limited utility at best for me, and I suspect for many others. As for the rest of the boards, the mundane matters' boards, they really did become, rather quickly, troll magnets and crackpottery shops, at best having the feel of slightly high highschoolers' in protest mode, grouped up on opposite sides of a very close line, yelling at each other. The violence was often palpable.

So, no, I don't really miss them. Even the Contributors' Board had lost its meaning a good decade ago, with too many useful and even necessary suggestions having been pushed to the side and off the table, unkept promises to help the database part of the database grow in content and lock down on accuracy. Because of whim and ego among the "insiders", especially you-know-who. Toward the end, he'd even established a "code of conduct" for posting contributors which amounted to, essentially, never say anything that could be construed as critical of IMDb (where IMDb = CN, in his mind at least) on penalty of purge-atory. That I don't miss at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: