ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking that, just around the halfway point in Flash season three episode four, when Barry, Iris, Joe, and Wally are at home watching a movie on television, the movie is, well, this one? We only get some audio of the movie, but it sounds like their guns and Altaira's voice...
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend sent this to me (I don't know the source). This is the sharpest I've seen the "residence".

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By gum, Eadie, it DOES have details my best screen grab is lacking! Wow! (I added a little color and put it below mine for comparison.)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie found this rare 16-sheet French poster for the 1972 re-release! She wasn't able to post it before leaving for school.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting color scheme to one of the B-&-W photos that a fan made.

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! There are tributes to Forbidden Planet everywhere!

We were watching the Buck Rogers in the 24th Century (NBC September 20, 1979 — April 16, 1981) 1st season episode Planet of the Slave Girls and saw this matte painting by Dan Curry.

It looks as if was inspired by the Forbidden Planet cyclorama painted by George Gibbons behind the C-57-D.

An aerial view with rotation! The C-57-D would have landed between the large rocks in the center and the closer of the two smaller rocks "NW" of the center group and then slightly "down" and to the "left".

What do the members think?

* * * * * EXTRA * * * * *

An interesting piece of art by Giovanino I found on DeviantArt.

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

March 15th was the anniversary of Forbidden Planet.

I found this "trailer" from Japan to commemorate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k4jlXW0ag4

Watch it at 1080p. To bad we can't see it at the Japanese broadcast resolution of 2800p

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met an International Exchange Program student earlier this week. She is also a Sci-Fi fan!Today she gave me a flash drive with LOTS of pics from various Japanese sites.

Nifty banner.

Poster.

Comic book page.

Trading card.

Animation progression.

From a Japanese LEGO-clone set.

An unused Educator panel concept.

A portion of one of the cycloramas.

A newer, sharper version of the Residence. Look closely, there is some detail on the roof of the extension at the bottom right of the house.

I wonder what it is?

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another awesome posts from the young lady who earned TWO All Sci-Fi T-shirts for her contributions to this board! Very Happy

I love your jpegs, especially the one below, which I never seen before! Awesome!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post!

Just goes to show you that NO subject is exhausted...There's always something new!
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While my Godfather (Butch) is recovering in the hospital, I hooked up the laser-disc machine and watched Chriterion Collection of Forbidden Planet. I nticed a vast deference in the the introduction of the Krell Lab.

On our Blu-Ray it looks like this.

But the laser-disc it has an extension to the right of the screen, as if the two were combined.

Can any find a proper picture or somehow combine the two? It would be a perfect representation of the 2.55:1 original aspect ratio!

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't quite figure out how any disc of Forbidden Planet could have an aspect ratio as wide as you seem to suggest, Eadie.

If the full image really included more than just a small portion of the lab on far right in the second image that you displayed side-by-side with the first one (and which I had to separate because the two together were so wide), it would be wider than a Cinerama screen! Very Happy

The Blu-ray is 2.40:1, which is only about 6% smaller than the 2.55:1 listed for both the Criterion laser disc and the original aspect ratio for the movie. That means the picture you posted which shows the 2.40:1 image would only be about 6% wider if it were 2.55:1.

I created a jpeg of my own 2.40:1 image of that scene, and I added 6% to the width, shown below. The white area to the right is the extra 6%.

The dimensions of this jpeg are 700x274. 700 divided by 274 equals 2.55 — which means this jpeg with the white area included is an accurate representation of 2.55:1.

I filled in the white area with a section of your other image of the lab on the far right, and all I could squeeze in was a small portion of the door to the Krell shuttle car.

Is that approximately what you viewed to the far right on the scene showing the Krell lab on the laser disc?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:28 am; edited 5 times in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for that.

The image on the Criterion Disk is NOT the one shown. The image posted was to suggest it because I couldn't find the one they had. The actual image was essentially the same as the one seen in all versions of the movie BUT also showing more of the entrance to the shuttle car plus the two 4-dial power panels shown in the extreme right picture but just short of edge-on.

The amount of the white that you added seems to be right-on but the angle of the added isn't sharp enough.

I WISH someone could take the Criterion version and convert it to Blu-Ray!
(DAMN that COPY-GUARD feature!)

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
Sorry for that.

My God, Eadie, please do NOT apologize! Very Happy

Your detailed description of the missing area in the extra 6% of the 2.55:1 area on the right made it easy for me to rework my approximation of the missing area and create the new version, shown below!

I tried to match the additional area exactly as you described it by "showing more of the entrance to the shuttle car, plus the two 4-dial power panels shown in the extreme right picture, but just short of edge-on."

Here's the 2.40:1 version from the Blu-ray release.

Here's my re-creation of the 2.55:1 version of the Criterion Laser Disc image, based on your detailed description of the missing 6%! Very Happy

Notice how the extra portion on the right actually "wraps the lab" around the visible area. This is exactly what impressed you about this shot, Eadie! It demonstrates how the lab surrounds the area we see, instead of just being portion of it, viewed from a distance!

And I'd like to point out that this is just ONE shot in the movie. Now imagine what we'd see if the entire movie had that extra 6% added to the picture!

Admittedly, some scenes would be more impressive than others, but with a movie like Forbidden Planet, that extra 6% would undoubtedly contain some very nice details we'd all love to see.

Eadie, you've done it again! Very Happy

Without your keen eye and awesome powers of description, we would not have realized how much we've been missing all these years!

Eadie wrote:
I WISH someone could take the Criterion version and convert it to Blu-Ray!

Amen, Eadie! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it's a tad more than 6% on the original print. I took your combination and enlarged it 4 times.

Then I screen grabbed the right end and enlarged it 4 times.

In this you clearly see the first of the 4-dial panel and only a small portion of the second 4-dial panel. In the Criterion laser disk you clearly see that second panel in an even more sharpened angle. The very end of that panel was cut-off.

Almost There!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 43 of 143

Jump to: