ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Rat Race (1960)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: The Rat Race (1960) Reply with quote

This gritty drama starring Debbie Reynolds and Tony Curtis released in 1960, The Rat Race, has been a favorite of mine for the last 45 years. It's a neglected gem, and it's not only unavailable on DVD, it's not even shown in VistaVision when TCM airs it!

The trailer below (also in 4:3) will give you a taste of the film's power and true nature. Obviously it is NOT a comedy, even though it's described as one by reviewers who see Reynolds and Curtis as the stars and aren't really familiar with the movie.

The dim-wits in the Paramount promotional depart are partially responsible for this misconception, because they designed a poster which shows Debbie and Tony grinning like love-sick fools. So, it's no wonder that people misconstrued the nature of this movie.

When you watch the trailer below, pay close attention to the forceful title theme by Elmer Bernstein. I saw The Rat Race in 1960, and the music became a lifelong favorite of mine.

Debbie is certainly no "girl next door" in this movie. She's struggling to make a living in the Big Apple by doing everything except the world's oldest profession — but she literally dances around the subject by working as a dime-a-dance girl for a ruthless boss, played by (of all people) Don Rickles!

Despite all the trials and tribulations endured by Tony and Debbie, they manage to fall in love while resisting the urge to have sex with each other, even though they both desperately want someone who truly cares for them.

Between the sexy title theme and sexy story, I was seduced by this movie at the tender age of twelve when I saw it at a drive-in with my family. There were erotic scenes which had me squirming around on the car seat!

The title theme was actually released as a single by Richard Maltby and his orchestra in 1960 , and I've owned the 45 rpm since it came out, 46 years ago. You can hear it on the Youtube video below the trailer. Give it a listen, folks.

______________ The Rat Race (1960) - Trailer

_________

_1960 Richard Maltby - Theme from “The Rat Race”

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:28 pm; edited 6 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that Amazon offers it to rent or buy as streaming video.

I also find the DVD listed by several... what do you call them... aftermarket(?) outlets.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
I see that Amazon offers it to rent or buy as streaming video.

I also find the DVD listed by several... what do you call them... aftermarket(?) outlets.

Right. But Amazon doesn't have a DVD you can buy, and the gray market DVDs are 4:3, with a picture quality that isn't very good. I'm sure the Amazon streaming video is 4:3, too.

I've got a pretty good download from Daily Motion, but the picture is only fair, and the aspect ratio is 4:3. Ditto for the DVR I currently have from TCM — also in 4:3 of course.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie & Tony were very successful actors but never quite seemed to receive their due regarding their talents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: