ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Childhood's End (SyFy 2015)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alien ship looks like a fish skeleton to me. Laughing

David.
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
Wikipedia kindly gives a link to Archive.org, which has the eight hour-long radio episodes available here. I do actually have the official BBC boxed set of eight audiocassettes, but MP3 files are easier to handle, these days. Smile

Custer,

Is the sound quality any better on the boxed set than it is on the mp3 versions? I find it difficult to easily understand some of the mp3s, especially when they use that heavy "echo chamber" effect. Headphones help a lot.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a number of reviews over at Archive.org aren't too keen on the sound balance, for the music and special effects in particular... just think of it as part of the quirky period charm of a 1966 BBC radio drama. Wow, its half-century is coming up next year!

Quote:
Technically one of the worst audio experiences I've had. OK, it was a radio play, but it often sounded like the mike was in front of one of the actors, while a second person was in the far corner of the room. I had to max the volume to hear the quiet voices.

Worse were the sound effects. I liked them, as they gave a nice retro feel to the production. Unfortunately, they often were several times as loud as the normal voices, so when I had the volume up so I could hear all the players, the sound effects felt like they were going to break my eardrums.

Despite the audio problem, I enjoyed this performance of one of the great sci-fi stories. As noted, I liked the retro sound effects, lots of strange sounds, and often what sounded like teletypes in the background. Who would have thought then that printers would make no noise?
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have cable or dish, so I can't watch the CE 3-parter. Has anyone seen last night's episode? What do you think? Is it worth watching?
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry.It will be released on DVD/Blu-ray, probably sometime in late January.

The differences between the novel and the mini-series are huge.

I WILL NOT post my feelings about it until well after airing - but one can guess.

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we are, 3 months later. The DVD and BluRay were released on March 1, and they are $25 each at amazon. After reading the reviews at Amazon, I'm glad I missed the series on TV- it sounds like the 3 episodes were saturated with commercials. The discs will surely be much more enjoyable without those constant interruptions.

So here's my question: Is it worth 25 bucks, or should I wait until it gets cheap?
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see the last episode, cable was having problems, also missed an episode of "The Expanse" because of that. Thanks Cox Cable. But then I didn't think the first two episodes were that great, so I'm not buying the DVDs to see the episode I missed.

David.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised (Boy! I shouldn't have done that!) my feelings.

They took a decent story and made a mish-mosh of it. What takes place in nearly a century of time they compress to between 20 to 25 years. Just to keep the human lead.
That human lead was made an American — specifically a citizen of the good 'ol US of A. In fact almost EVERY role was someone in the good 'ol Us of A.

The book was international.

One of the best scenes in the book was the diorama of the giant squid fighting the whale. It was used as a device so the Last Human could hide inside and go to Karelean's planet.

This mini-series reduced this to the bodies of a small whale and a medium squid encased in plastic wrap lying next to each other (along with samples of every other creature from Earth) and our current hero the same with oxygen bottles to keep him alive. Stupid. [By-the-way; HOW do you do that to bacterium and viruses?]

The ending of the book convey the feeling of a much greater conscienceness (although in a quasi-Hindu/Buddhist fashion).

The ending of the miniseries just makes the overmind selfish.

And all that's left for poor mankind and all the creatures on Earth — and, indeed, the Earth itself is pity and sadness.

All-in-all one of the worst adaptations ever.

Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was not adept, it was sausage made from the ocean garbage patch.
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for the feedback, guys. You have saved me $25.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I just removed it from my Netflix queue.

WayneO
-----------
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week, I found a free download site that had all 3 HD episodes, so I have finally been able to watch CE. It's been so long since I read the book that I really can't make any direct comparisons except that I would have preferred the book's longer time line.

However, as a stand-alone made-for-TV movie, I thought SyFy did a pretty good job. Certainly better than what I had expected. My primary complaint is that it moves slowly quite often. I think the director could have easily cut 30 minutes of ponderous script without weakening the final product.

When the DVD/BluRay price drops to a reasonable amount, I'll probably buy it.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded it as well and it was OK if you didn't know anything about the original

I think this was the best novel of Arthur C Clarke and one of the best Sci-Fi novels of all time and the TV version didn't come close, although it had its good points.

The novel was written during a very introspective era in our history and in the vein of Heinlien's STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND was focused on mans' evolution as an entity in the immensity of the Universe.

The only BBC version I'm aware of is the two part two hour adaptation written by Tony Mulhulland from a few years ago. I thought that adaptation was terrific and although it made logical updates to the original ( That all worked, by the way!) it came very close to the Arthur C Clarke "feel" of the original.

The Syfy channel version DID try to update the story but veared too far from the original to really work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: