ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

28 Days Later (2002)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: 28 Days Later (2002) Reply with quote

This is the original movie for which 28 Weeks Later (2007) was the sequel, albeit with different writers, cast, and director.

Central character Jim (Cillian Murphy) awakes in a hospital to find the facility... and the city (London)... deserted. He eventually encounters the reason.

This movie marked the introduction of rage zombies, who at least stand a fighting chance.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I should watch it? Should I avoid it? Should I close my eyes during certain parts? Should I avoid eating spicy foods one hour before showtime?

Enlighten me, Orzel-wan Kenodi!
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to avoid recommending movies for others to see or not. Tastes and preferences differ immensely, as witnessed by opinions expressed even here. I just state whether I thought favorably of the movie or not and let others decide based on their experience with my tastes. That's all any movie critic is good for anyway. In the case of this movie, you (Bud) had stated in the sequel's thread that you were unaware of this predecessor, so I mainly wanted to get this thread started.

Which reminds me, I didn't mention anything favorably or otherwise about this movie, did I? Okay; I bought the DVD after viewing a Netflix rental.

What I find interesting in the zombie genre is the many variations on the theme. The very earliest zombie movies I know of depicted the Voodoo variety, which served as pawns of their Voodoo master. Then the next variety came with Night of the Living Dead, which were slow moving, flesh eating types that were dangerous only in large numbers or when they took you by surprise. From that we had a "rebirth" of the zombie genre, leading to spritely, athletic zombies, then rage-filled zombies, then swarming zombies, and more recently, sentimental zombie stories. We've even had a zom-com or two. Or more.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
I try to avoid recommending movies for others to see or not.

Right, sure, of course, granted. But you didn't included anything about your own feelings about the movie, the way you did in your other fine reviews. Everything you said could be gotten from IMDB.

What I was asking for was your personal take on the movie, because I value your opinion (even when I don't agree with it).

Besides, describing things you like about a movie is an implied recommendation, because it encourages folks who respect your opinions to watch the movie, too.

By the way, we don't have a thread for "28 Weeks Later". I thought we did, but I can't find it!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
By the way, we don't have a thread for "28 Weeks Later". I thought we did, but I can't find it!

Hmm... I must have seen it listed in the alphabetical listing, but no mention of 28 Days Later, so that's when I raised the question. (Days still isn't there, BTW. Wink )

WayneO
-----------
MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this a few times, and I don't look at it as a zombie movie. Zombies are slow, methodical and brainless. These things are totally different. I think if this as an allegory for social problems.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetroPolly wrote:
Zombies are slow, methodical and brainless.

"These aren't your father's zombies."

"These aren't the zombies you're looking for."

(Am I being too obscure with my references?)

In any case, zombies have evolved, or in movie parlance, rebooted, just like any other movie creature with a long history. Modern zombies have become similar to vampires; living off human flesh and blood and turning humans by biting, albeit as a side effect rather than by intent. (I also neglected to mention, in my list posted 10 July 2015, some older zombies that hung around to guard treasure.)

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: