ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Designated Survivor (2016 ABC)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Designated Survivor (2016 ABC) Reply with quote

This series is awesome! Shocked

I love watching Kiefer Sutherland slowly man-up to the job of being the President of the United States while all the people around him shake in their boots after the terrorist attack and assume he's a wimp who needs to be replaced.

The skillfully crafted scenes are wonderful as they show Kiefer swamped by crushing responsibilities and surrounded by shouting bureaucrats, while he does subtle and inspiring things to prove he's the hero of this great series!

Kiefer's daughter is as cute as a puppy licking your face, but his son is a powder keg of teenage rebellion, and his wife (Natascha McElhone) is the kind of woman every president (and every man) ought to have.

In the second episode Kiefer meets the attractive and intelligent Senator Kimble Hookstraten, and I immediately recognized her as Virginia Madsen, who guest starred in a fine Star Trek: Voyager episode I'm fond of. I was glad she and Kiefer hit it off so well, even though she'd have made a fine political opponent as well. (I predict she'll end up being the Vice President. Wink)

This is my favorite kind of story — a person who is completely unappreciated and vastly underestimated, slowly gaining the respect of those around him by believing in himself and proving he's the smartest guy in the room.

At the end of episode 2 we hear the workers at the site of the bombing shouting that a survivor has been found, while Agent Hannah Wells is in a nearby tent looking at pictures of the victims of the bombing.

I think this miraculous survivor might be President Richmond (or someone higher up in the chain of command than Kiefer), but he'll be in a coma for a while — and that will surly complicate things for President Kiefer Sutherland, won't it? Shocked

I hope this show has a long and glorious run.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I watched the pilot, and it was certainly intriguing. Honestly, though, I'm not a huge fan of political dramas. I missed the second ep, but I might try and catch up when they inevitably start reruns.

BTW, I would vote for Sutherland in a heartbeat; at least people like him.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This shows just gets better and better. If you liked the first episode, you love the second. If you love the second, you'll adore the third.

This show is remarkable. Shocked

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved The West Wing & have enjoyed similar political/drama series such as Madam Secretary & Geena Davis's sadly too short run in Commander & Chief.

DS is another intriguing show that is quite good.

Have to disagree though about the teenage son. Does every family drama have to have the cliche sullen, angst filled teen boy or girl? Trite & overused.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Have to disagree though about the teenage son. Does every family drama have to have the cliche sullen, angst filled teen boy or girl? Trite & overused.

They might be planning something less trite, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Actually I've enjoyed the fact that Kiefer has yet another stumbling block to deal with, a rebellious drug-dealing son who jeopardizes America's recovery from the devastating terrorist attack by adding to his father's troubles.

But in the 3rd episode the son seems to be coming around, so they might not continue with that particular element of the story.

Perhaps I'm more tolerant of that "cliche" because I happen to have a son who hasn't spoken to me for over five years for reasons that are completely unreasonable.
Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to read about the estrangement between you & your son, Bud.

And the "strange" part of the word estrangement is so apt. My older sister & I have a sister & brother who no longer communicate at all with us. Reason: unknown.

There was no feud, no falling out, nothing. They just simply both stopped speaking to us. Like someone turning off a light.

Made several attempts to ask them what the heck was going on but they never responded.

I'm at peace with it now.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DS will be picked up for 13 episodes. I think it's by Netflix but I could be wrong. In any event, somebody has given DS a new lease on life.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Designated Survivor ended up with 53 episodes, which aired over two and half seasons. It was cancelled after 10 episodes during season 3.

I liked the series, and it's abrupt cancellation was a big disappointment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: