ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skullduggery (1970)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Skullduggery (1970) Reply with quote

An odd little film with a strange premise.

Burt Reynolds is an adventurer, and Susan Clark is a scientist. Together they discover a tribe of "missing link" creatures in the jungles of New Guinea — short, harry, cute little monkey people called "Tropi". The Tropi's gentle nature and "freak" status make them easy targets for exploitation.

The film attempts to deliver a message on the nature of "humanity" by boldly establishing a romantic relationship between one of the female Tropi and Burt's portly, bristle-faced sidekick, Roger C. Carmel (Harry Mudd from "Star Trek").

The touchy subject of inter-species sex is not avoided — in fact, it figures prominently in the film's climax, a courtroom scene that resembles the famous Monkey Trial which vindicated evolution.

In this version, mankind's alleged ancestors are present in the courtroom as a living Exhibit A!

The author of the novel had his name removed from the credits because he disapproved of director Gordon Douglas' film treatment.

Also starring Wilfrid Hyde-White, Pat Suzuki, Alexander Knox, Chips Raferty, Edward Fox, and Rhys Williams. The Tropi are portrayed by students of the University of Djakarta.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:48 pm; edited 7 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen this movie since it came out, but I have fond (and vivid) memories of it. Here's the trailer.

___________Skullduggery (1970) - Trailer

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_________________ Skullduggery 1970 Trailer

I haven't seen this film since watching it once on TV way back in the mid-seventies. I don't remember any of it. There are a few things I can mention based on info from various sources...

________

The film apparently starts out OK, as an exploratory adventure in the wilderness (think an early, less violent version of Congo-1995), but later becomes a mess in its courtroom scenes, involving everything from the Black Panthers (the group, not the felines) to South African racists (a comedic take by Wilfrid Hyde-White). It was probably aiming for dark satire.

I am curious to see this one again after all this time, but as mentioned, there's no DVD and probably not even a VHS version available. You can probably buy some kind of DVD-R version on E-Bay-type sites. Nothing else left to do except to enjoy The Tropi (if you're into really hirsute women) —

________

— or, if you prefer the more hairless look (Susan Clark).

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was amazed to discover that this obscure and controversial movie is available on YouTube! Shocked

I downloaded the 955 mb version (in full widescreen), and it looks gorgeous!

I've scheduled this rare movie for All Sci-Fi's Saturday Live Chat (<— link) on Saturday 9/17.

This, as far as I know, is Burt Reynolds only appearance in a science fiction movie. I'm looking forward to seeing again since my first viewing, 25 years ago.

____________________ Skullduggery (1970)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, you realize that THIS was the source of the dreaded...MONKEYPOX!!!

But if anyone would have sex with a monkey it would be Harton Fenton Mudd!!

Although I would be greatly suspicious of Burt Reynold's mother!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia.

The book was published in the US with the title "You Shall Know Them" in 1953 by French novelist, Vercors, a pseudonym for Jean-Marcel De Brullers.

The novel became a best seller with the NY Times review calling it "a humanely sardonic story."

On the very first day of shooting, producer Saul David sacked his director Richard Wilson. He was replaced by director Gordon Douglas who had directed David's "In Like Flint."

Burt Reynolds turned down the lead role in Robert Altman's M*A*S*H film to do Skullduggery.

Burt Reynolds felt that they had a good script by Lorenzo Semple, Jr. and that Susan Clark was a good actress. He felt it was badly directed, kind of sloughed off. But nobody knew how to sell the picture.

Sidebar: I remember seeing this at a drive-in back in 1970. Must have been double-billed with another film; one that I wanted to see. Found Skulduggery offbeat and sad.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you two gentlemen will join All Sci-Fi's Saturday Live Chat (<— link) for this movie.

We've missed both of you on many past occasion. Sad

And even though we understand that your important family commitments take presidents over our chat nights, we can't help but wish that those pesky family members would take pity on us poor lonely bachelors and let you share a movie with us . . . just once a damn week! Sad

Hell, it ain't like you're going out to bar with us on Saturday nights and coming home drunk after flirting with busty barmaids! Shocked

All we're asking is that you carve our two lousy hours in your weekly schedule just to sit in front of your computer and watch a movie while typing out silly comments to your socially challenged long-distance friends! Rolling Eyes

For Pete's sake, I'll bet' your family members spend more than two hours a week on their freakin' cell phones, yackin' with their buddies . . . while they ignore the hell outta YOU! Evil or Very Mad

Gentlemen, ot's time for a little payback! Stand up for your rights! The damn Me Too movement is for men as well! Shocked

Join us this coming Saturday in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy Room and show your family that you have the same rights for ME TIME as they do!

. . . Unless of course you're too busy taking out the trash or sharing Downton Abby with the person who actually wears the freakin' pants in your family! Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: