ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enterprise ships
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, that is a beautiful version of the Enterprise!

It's significantly different from the Abrams version (in all the right ways), but -- in my opinion -- still not quite as glorious as the Korener version.

And it certainly illustrates everything that's wrong with the Abrams version.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original TV Enterprise is a classic, elegantly proportioned design. I think Gabe Koerner's version is way too cluttered and overstyled. Too many unnecessary details and fiddly bits.

As for the Abramsprise, it looks like something jointly designed by Harley J. Earl and Salvador Dali -- when both of them were drunk.

YMMV, as they say.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two photos I found today:

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did like both the designs for the big E for the original ST series,as well as the early films with the '66-'69 cast.

Roddenberry had a vision for his creation & his designer came through after much experimentation.

At the time of the 1966 show people should remember that sf space ships in film & television were primarily of 2 different configurations: Rocket shaped or saucer shaped.

Certainly there were exceptions along the way as the wonderful manta ray shaped Martian ships in George pal's War of the Worlds. But it was an exception.

Gene knew he wanted his star ship to be different from anything seen before. He also knew that since the vessel was not intended to land on planets but remain in space,they could be creative as to the shape of the ship.

So for 1966 this was revolutionary.Now we'd laugh at a movie or tv show that tried to present anything as unsophisticated as a 50s rocket ship as cool & original.
Saucer designs do remain with us & did as part of the Enterprise.
But you can play around with saucer shaped vehicles more than rockets.

I've never understood those fans of any TV show that want everything to remain just the way it was on the series when a show is brought to the silver screen.
As much as I enjoyed the TV Enterprise,I liked the improvements for the 1979 feature film.
There's always room for improvements.

Loved the Enterprise design for ST:TNG's movie First Contact. Easy considering I was so-so on TNG's E on the series.

Neither a fan of the JJ Abrams E nor his reboot.

Thank you very much for posting Gabe's design.
It is magnificent!
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
So for 1966 this was revolutionary.

So much so that some of the artwork depicting the Enterprise on book and magazine covers when the series was new betrayed the artists' failure to wrap their heads around it. They would typically show rocket exhaust trails coming from the warp nacelles.

Pow wrote:
I've never understood those fans of any TV show that want everything to remain just the way it was on the series when a show is brought to the silver screen.

I think this is an attempt to recapture the "magic" they felt from their initial experience of the series. They want to return to "those thrilling days of yesteryear", only with better special effects.

WayneO
-----------
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Veteran's Day Special Reply with quote

Ships named Enterprise
"Fate protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise" -- Cmdr. Riker

Veteran's Day Special
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Star Trek Keepsake Ornaments Reply with quote

Hallmark Sculptor Lynn Norton on the Storied History of Trek Keepsake Ornaments

After 50 years, the distinctive image of the USS Enterprise has come to serve not only as home for hundreds of explorers of the future but also as an iconic symbol of the Star Trek universe and all that represents to its fans. For more than half that time, sculptor Lynn Norton has devoted uncounted hours to interpreting incarnations of the beloved starship, creating Keepsake Ornaments for Hallmark that bring fans??? favorite memories and fantastic moments to Christmas trees each year (and admittedly to collectible displays all year long for many people)......

LINK:
http://www.startrek.com/article/hallmark-sculptor-lynn-norton-on-the-storied-history-of-trek-keepsake-ornaments
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a graphic possibly dating back from Star Trek (2009) but I had never seen it until recently; probably this is fan-created but very nice.

I found it on Pinterest; does anyone use Pinterest? Imgur

PS Thanks, Butch

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Pinterest occasionally just to see if there is something I haven't seen and to follow friends (such as Stan Hyde, a Canadian SFX artist who has worked on many TV programs and movies and a long time friend).

The picture you found and posted is one of his. It's from a test sequence he made when bidding on doing the SFX for Star Trek (2009).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: