ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honey, I Blew Up the Kid (1992)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Honey, I Blew Up the Kid (1992) Reply with quote

Not a bad sequel to the 1989 Disney hit sci-fi comedy, but definitely not equal to it. The principal problem was that the film makers decided the story needed a villain, so John Shea (who played Lex Luthor in Lois and Clark) is an egotistical, insensitive scientist who takes potentially harmful steps to deal with the enlarged toddler.

The first movie didn't need a villain, and neither did this one -- especially the way this one was handled.

During its initial release the movie was accompanied by a Disney animated short called "Off His Rockers", which was included with the 1993 laserdisk version, but not with the current DVD -- which is full screen, a shameful thing for Disney to do in this widescreen age of HD televisions.

Surprisingly, the short is available on Youtube, despite Disney's diligent efforts to prevent any of their properties from being shared in this manner.

The short film is noteworthy for being a prototype for "Toy Story" (release three years later), involving a young boy lured away from his video game by his beloved rocking horse.

Stylistically, it should be noted that the backgrounds and the rocking horse are clearly CGI, while the little boy is hand-drawn animation. But the two media blend perfectly.

Enjoy!

]

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the trailer for this enjoyable movie.
Shocked

____________ Honey, I Blew Up The Kid Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 17 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

Actor Alex Daniels portrayed Adam in his "blown-up" form (he is credited as "Uncle Yanosh"). Daniels wore a 40-pound, electronic-headed "Adam suit" for the role, and was coached on how to mimic the movements of a toddler. Once suited up on the set, Daniels had to magnify his movements so they would show through the costume's heavy, clumsy folds. Occasionally, the heat inside the outfit proved too much for its coolant system, a vest with ice water pumped through tubes, prompting crew members who noticed Daniels faltering to yell, 'Get Alex outta there!'

Note from me: I had no idea that the "big" baby was an actor in a "big baby suit"! The next time I watch this movie I'll keep my eyes open for tell-tale signs.

(at around 44 mins) Rosebud, the sled from Citizen Kane (1941) and the Ark of the Covenant from Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) are visible in the lab security warehouse.

Note from me: Something else to watch out for the next time I watch this movie.

Like Kate Greenfield and Ruth Greenfield, the twins whom played Elora Danan in Willow (1988), Daniel Shalikar and Joshua Shalikar did not act in any other movies. In real life, Daniel became a Firefighter and Joshua became a Digital Technologist.

Note from me: Well, other child actors haven't fared as well after growing up.

The movie was the beneficiary of a reverse boycott in the summer of 1992. Many police departments objected to Warner Brothers release of Ice-T's "Cop Killer" CD and asked their members to see "Honey I Blew Up The Kid" instead of WB's "Batman Returns" as a protest.

Note from me: What a strange idea! I wonder how many policemen actually went to see the Disney movie "in protest". Very Happy

Much of the the dialogue between Wayne and Adam, such as the bedtime story and feeding time, was improvised by Rick Moranis in response to whatever Daniel Shalikar and Joshua Shalikar, the twins who played Adam, happened to say.

Note from me: Interesting solution to the problem of getting child actors to remember their lines! Just let the kid be a kid, and have the actor make-up things that fit the scene. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

Basically this the flip-side of the idea I proposed for Honey, Shrunk the Kids, about sneaking miniaturized armies into foreign countries and then restoring them to full size when they attack the country from within.

This question adds an addition strategy to that attack plan.

~ A Question for the Members: Could some of the shrunken soldiers be expanded from their microscopic size to a giant size so they could use their oversized handguns, rifles, bazookas, and grenades as "weapons of mass destruction"?

~ My Theory: This movies snuck in a clever use of physics by suggesting that the growing toddler was gaining mass whenever it became larger, because his body was converting energy intp matter!

The toddler only got larger whenever he was exposed to an energy source, such as household appliances which were in use during the early stages, and later when he wandered into Las Vegas and was surrounded by the bright lights!

The aspect of the growing process in this movie actually follows the laws of physics more accurately than Ant Man and The Wasp do, because the shrinking/enlarging process in their movies just ignores the problem of the creating extra mass out of nowhere! Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: