ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An honest-to-God Jetpack!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: An honest-to-God Jetpack! Reply with quote

People often talk about jet packs, but before now, there had only been one. In the 60s Bell came up with the Rocket Flying Pack, aka Rocketbelt. It had a flight time of less than 30 seconds! Modern Rocketbelts can get a flight time of around 35 seconds. In 1969 Bell unveiled the Jet Flying Pack, aka Jetpack. The Jetpack had a flight time of 15 minutes, with a possible flight time of 25 minutes. The project died when the Military lost interest. It used a small turbo jet engine, but it was still sizable. Add the two tanks of fuel on either side, it had a considerable weight. The Military was also concerned about engine failure, both the engine dying, and losing a fan blade. It wouldn't do for the operator to be skewered by a fan blade. The final problem was the death of the engine's developer in 69.

Bell sold the engine, and documentation to a company that tried making a couple of other vehicles, a Flying Platform, and a helicopter type of vehicle. Neither went anywhere. The turbo jet engine did go on to power cruse missiles.

Over the last few years people have talked about Jetpacks, but most are either Rocketbelts or more often, duct-fan vehicles. Neither are Jetpacks.

But now Jetpack Aviation has a true Jetpack! It uses two small turbofan jet engines, with a flight time of about 10+ minutes! Although in the U.S., the flight time may be limited to only 5 minutes. Video on site: http://jetpackaviation.com/

I can't wait until these to start appearing in movies & tv shows.

David.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exciting.

I couldn't help but notice the pants leg of the jumpsuit in the top photo looks a bit sooty from the knee down. Guess they'll have to refine the fuel mixture before owners can start flying to work in their business suits.

Also noted the precautionary measure of test flying over bodies of water. That way in case of malfunction the pilot merely drowns, rather than crashing and burning. (That would be my preference as well.)

One more thing: Is there an afterburner option?

WayneO
-----------
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did mention that he pilot was wearing a fireproof suit as a precaution, although they said it really wasn't needed. Perhaps angling the jet exhausts outward a few degrees might help?

It is a new vehicle, so I wonder if they could only get permission to fly over water? They also don't fly very high either, certainly nowhere near 10,000 feet, or 100 miles an hour. So there might be height and speed restrictions until it is certified.

They claim that it is already legal to fly in the U.S., but someone on another board said that the FAA would limit it to a 5 minute fuel supply. It might be useful for the Coast Guard, Police, Fire Department and other emergency services.

I'm also not to sure that I could make it to work, without refueling for the fight home. I can just see the reaction at work if I asked to store a supply of kerosene fuel in the office! Shocked I'm not so sure, that the building would like me landing in front either. Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, nobody thought this thread needed a few pictures and a video of this device? Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: